Sunday 22 February 2015

Globe-cooking recipe : Golabki (Poland)


Having spent a week in Gdynia on a work trip last year, I couldn't resist putting a jar of Golabki in my trolley when I spotted it in Tesco's. It's imported from Poland so I was hoping it would be quite authentic.


Despite the large jar, there are actually only three Golabki - rice and pork stuffed cabbage parcels - in the jar.


The instructions say to heat them on the hob but I poured the contents of the jar into a dish and put them in the oven to warm up. The sauce is actually quite sweet - it reminded me of the sauce from tinned meatballs (as I remember from my student days, but I haven't actually eaten them for years so I could be wrong !).


I definitely need to make these myself and see how they taste homemade so I've had a quick search online. I love the look of this recipe on Zagleft because it looks truly authentic and traditional (it's based on a Polish grandmother's recipe so it's the real deal) but I also love this slow cooker version. I'll come back and show you how I get on once I've had a go.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! *** 

If you want some more Polish dishes, how about giving Bigos a go ?

7 comments:

  1. They look nice, I would never have realised that the parcels are actually in the jar. I will look out for these when I next go to tesco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I had no idea what they were when I plucked them off the shelf ! They're edible but would be much nicer homemade so I'll definitely be having a play

      Delete
    2. I always have a jar of exactly this brand on my shelf. It's very useful to have when there's nothing in the fridge. I heat the whole contents (3 cabbage rolls and sauce) in the oven for 25 minutes, covered with kitchen foil. I eat them with boiled new potatoes.

      Delete
    3. Ooh yes, I would think new potatoes would be a great accompaniment :)

      Delete
  2. the look interesting, they often do polish foods in Lidl as a limited time thing, we have tried a few bits from the range

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lidl UK have their East European week starting on Thursday, but I prefer the Pamapol brand which I buy in my local Tesco.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...