Tuesday 22 January 2013

#BreakfastWatch Day 2 : Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins


Knowing the mornings are always a rush, I decided to get baking at the weekend in advance of Farmhouse Breakfast Week so that we'd have ready-made tasty treats to tuck into for breakfast each day with no extra effort. When I went browsing the Shake Up Your Wake Up website, one of the recipes that leapt out at me was Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins, partly because they sounded tasty and just the sort of thing that would appeal to the kids, but also because the ingredients are all store cupboard basics that I had in already.

Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins


Ingredients

200g self raising flour
25g oats
75g light brown muscovado sugar
3 medium ripe bananas
100g crunchy peanut butter
2 medium eggs lightly beaten
25g melted butter
125ml semi skimmed milk


(I actually ended up making a "free-from" version, using Provamel Coconut instead of milk and FreeNut Butter, because that was what I had in the cupboards that needed using up, and it worked perfectly.)

How to make it

Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6

Line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases

Sift the flour into a large bowl and mix in the oats and sugar


In a separate bowl mash the banana and mix in the peanut butter, eggs, butter and milk


Stir into the flour mixture
Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 20 minutes or until golden


Cool on a wire rack

Tips
Ideal for breakfast on the go. Simply prepare ahead and freeze to use when required.



The recipe says it will make at least ten muffins. I made nine, using my silicon muffin tray (so much easier to get them out than with metal ones) and used up the extra muffin mix by making a biggish cake and dropping spoonfuls directly onto a greased baking tray where they spread out into flat spongy biscuits.


As you can see from the picture, Pierre loved all of them - as did the rest of the family. They're great for breakfast or after-school snacks. For a balanced breakfast, I added in a yogurt and a piece of fruit.



for more information : www.shakeupyourwakeup.com

Disclosure : I received a hamper full of breakfast goodies in order to encourage us to take part in #breakfastwatch.



Other blogposts you may be interested in :

8 comments:

  1. Ooh they sound good, might give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. Sounds lovely :) :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh these look good - I must try a glutenfree version.

    Hazel Rea - @beachrambler

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious, my kind of breakfast. We always buy 2 kg of bananas so I can do some baking with the leftover ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound good - I don't really like peanut butter but I'd like my daughter to have it occasionally as a source of protein - I think I will give these a try in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy! I'll definitely try them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it sounds so delicious, I'll probably give this a try tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...