Thursday 24 January 2013

Provamel Rice Coconut Drink review


I've been having a clear out in my food cupboards, pulling out all the things that have been pushed to the back to come back to another day because I wasn't sure what to do with them or because I was unsure if we'd like them. I came across a carton of Provamel Rice Coconut Drink that has been lurking in there for a while and decided to bite the bullet and give it a try ! 

It is described as "a light, refreshing drink made from ground coconuts mixed with rice drink and water". The official blurb says: "Blending the pure taste of coconut with the subtle sweetness of rice creates a delicious drink that tastes great served either hot or cold."


I don't like the taste of milk on its own so the fact that it looks like milk put me off slightly. The girls had a taste straight from the carton and weren't keen either, but they're not huge milk drinkers, unless it's flavoured or made into hot chocolate. I filled a mug, warmed it up in the microwave and added some cocoa powder and they said it was really nice, although they couldn't detect any coconut flavour.


I decided to use it in cooking too, as a replacement for milk, which was totally successful. I used an equal quantity of Provamel in place of milk in the Banana & Peanut Butter Muffins recipe that I tried earlier in the week and didn't notice any difference.

Provamel's Rice-Coconut drink is 100% plant-based, low in fat and contains no added sugar. 100ml contains 62 calories, 12.5g of carbs (of which 6.5g sugar) and 1g of fat (of which 0.8g saturates) making it a light option, whether or not you need a lactose-free diet. It can be drunk on its own but we'd be more likely to use it in smoothies or cooking as an alternative to milk.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £1.99 for 1 litre

for more information : http://www.provamel.co.uk

Disclosure : I received a carton of Provamel Rice-Coconut Drink in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

5 comments:

  1. Interesting, I use soya milk in my cappucino's which is vanilla flavoured it's lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use soya milk instead of cows milk now for everything - on cereals, in tea and coffee etc. It's always interesting to look at alternatives. The only drawback to soya milk is the price, but I don't like the indusrialisation of the dairy industry so I'm willing to pay a little more. I might give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like the taste of Provamel's Rice-Coconut drink and pefer it to soya milk because it's a bit lighter. One of my daughters is lactose intolerant so we try all sorts of 'milk' alternatives and this is one of our favourites.
    I think the important thing to remember is this doesn't claim to be 'milk', it's a 'rice-coconut drink' so as long as you are prepared for it to be weaker than 'normal' milk it's absolutely fine as a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to try this for a while. looks like a good replacement

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it tastes best over Ice definitely better taste when ice cold

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...