I told you earlier about the A Year of Flavour with Herbs & Spices goodie box that I received just before Christmas, complete with a little book of inspiration. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Schwartz suggest for each month.
For January, they say : « January is the month to enjoy hearty seasonal foods to help warm those cold winter days. Why not rustle up some tasty root vegetables and crunchy winter greens dishes for that much needed healthy kick. Using herbs and spices will really help to bring the best out of your winter dishes, adding a touch of zing and flavour the whole family will love – a perfect start to your New Year ! »
Hints & Tips
- Add a pinch of ground cinnamon to your breakfast smoothie.
- Perk up grilled chicken by adding a pinch of Tarragon before cooking, serve as a sandwich filling or on a bed of greens.
- Use less salt and add thyme to scrambled eggs and sauteed mushrooms.
- Sprinkle carrots with Caraway Seeds before serving for a delicious nutty, citrus flavour.
- Use Garlic Granules, Ground Cumin and a pinch of Cayenne Chilli Pepper to add a tasty kick to your lentil dishes.
- For a spicy kick, add Garlic Granules and Smoked Paprika to sweet potato or squash soup.
- Liven up your cod with Lemon Pepper Seasoning to add a refreshing zingy taste.
- Use Schwartz Beef Casserole Recipe Mix for an easy warming casserole of beef, carrots and onions.
- For a lively pick-me-up, sprinkle ground Ginger over homemade fruit salad
Pan Fried Cajun Salmon
Cajun Seasoning adds a deliciously spicy flavour to salmon fillets.
4 salmon fillets
juice of 1 lemon
4 tsp Schwartz Perfect Shake Cajun Herb & Spice Blend
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 red onion, diced
1/2 cucumber, diced
3 tomatoes, diced
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tbs Schwartz Coriander Leaf
Schwartz Sea Salt and Black Pepper to season
Brush the salmon fillets with lemon juice and pan fry for 4-5 minutes, skin side up. Turn, brush again with lemon juice, and sprinkle with the Perfect Shake Cajun Special Blend. Fry for a further 4-5 minutes, until the salmon is cooked through.
Meanwhile, mix the peppers, onion, cucumber and tomatoes in a bowl. Stir in the olive oil, vinegar and Coriander Leaf and season to taste.
Serve the salmon and the salsa with your choice of green vegetables.
for more information and recipe ideas : http://www.schwartz.co.uk
Disclosure : I received a box of Schwartz herbs and spices, along with their A Year of Flavour book, in order to write honest reviews.
Other reviews you may be interested in :