Saturday 11 May 2013

Aldi Baking Challenge : White Chocolate Chip Cookies


What's that you say? No, I haven't been off spending a fortune at Millie's Cookies. I'm proud to say that I made these little (or actually rather large) beauties myself ! Now that I've got your attention, before I tell you how to make them, let me tell you about a little cooking challenge that I was set a couple of weeks ago.


The lovely people at Aldi contacted me to ask if I'd like to take part in a blogger bake-off to mark the fact that some baking Specialbuy products will be coming on sale in the middle of May. (I've no idea who I'm up against so wave if you're getting involved too !) They offered to send through all the ingredients I'd need to make either cookies or muffins. I'd been meaning to try out this recipe for White Chocolate Chip Cookies so that was the recipe I submitted to them and they sent me everything I'd need.

It's actually a very simple recipe (which is always handy when the kids want to get involved, which they invariably do !) :

White Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients :

100g butter
140g brown sugar
1 tbsp corn syrup (or golden syrup or honey)
1 egg (straight out of the fridge)
200g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
½ vanilla pod (seeds only, or 1 packet of vanilla sugar)
200g white chocolate (chips or finely chopped)


Melt the butter, brown sugar and honey in a bain marie (a bowl over simmering water). You can also do this in the microwave, which I always think is safer than heating boiling concoctions on the hob with the kids running around trying to help - just make sure you do it in very short 10 second bursts and stir well before seeing if it needs any extra time. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, vanilla and baking powder. 



Beat the egg into the butter mixture, then add the flour mix. Cool in the fridge for an hour while the oven preheats to 175°C. (I only chilled mine for ten minutes - the kids were too impatient !) Line two baking sheets with baking parchment or grease them.



Mix the chocolate chips into the cooled dough mix. (I only used 100g which seemed plenty.)




Shape the dough into walnut-sized balls, place them on the baking sheets and flatten them slightly.






 Make sure you leave space between them, about an inch should be enough.



Bake for 12-15 min. They should look done but still be soft. Don't place the baking sheet too high in the oven.



After taking the cookies out of the oven, leave them on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack.


Verdict ? I think the faces say it all ! I think they are actually the best cookies I've ever made. The white chocolate is divine and the cookies are extremely gooey and chewy, possibly because of the brown sugar ? (I usually use caster sugar.) Whatever the reason, I will DEFINITELY be making these again.

Disclosure : I received the ingredients needed to make the cookies from Aldi.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


Recipe : Crunchy Topped Cinnamon Apple Muffins

1 comment:

  1. Lush cookies, I bet they tasted as good as they look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...