Saturday 18 May 2013

My Dream Cake at #level36 for World Baking Day #bakebrave


In honour of World Baking Day, I spent all afternoon in the kitchen today ! I've always wanted to make a multi-layered rainbow cake so I tweaked the recipe for Dream Cake at level 36. The original recipe isn't so psychedelic and uses coffee, cocoa and vanilla flavours but as the kids don't like coffee and I'd run out of vanilla, I decided to get a bit creative !

The original recipe calls for the following ingredients :

1 cup of margarine (225g)
3 medium sized eggs
1.5 cups of sugar (255g)
3 cups of flour (375g)
1 pack of baking powder (approx. 6g)
1 cup of warm milk (240ml)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of coffee
1.5 tablespoon of cacao (or cocoa powder)

For the outside of the cake:
200g labne cheese (or Greek yoghurt)
4 tablespoons of powdered sugar (icing sugar)

For inside of the cake:
2 packs of whipped cream
2 cups of cold milk (480ml)
For the decoration (optional):
Dragee filled with coffee or coffee beans

Here's how I got on and how I tweaked the recipe.


Cream the margarine until light and fluffy.


Mix in the sugar.


Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and warm milk.


I didn't fancy cocoa, vanilla and coffee so I grabbed my Five Valleys cordials and went for Coconut & Kaffir Lime, Pomegranate & Rose and Lemon & Mint instead.


I also decided to use food colouring to make something really spectacular ! The only problem is, it does make A LOT of washing up !


World Baking Day started turning into Worst Baking Disaster Day at this point - my trusty Tupperware silicon cake mould ripped down the side when I took it out of the oven *sob*. I managed to make the other two cakes (they all had to be the same size) but it's now in the bin. Oh well, it's served me well, I guess.


But the cake also decided to stick in the bottom of the mould when I flipped it out. Luckily, you can hide a multitude of sins with a bit of icing ! The other two came out OK.


I decided not to use whipping cream in the middle of each layer. I mixed some icing sugar into Greek-style yogurt but it seemed to go very runny. It was good enough to go in between the layers and hold it all together though !


A quick artistic sprinkle of icing sugar and it was ready to serve. 

So what are you baking for World Baking Day ?

for more information : http://worldbakingday.com/

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


It's World Baking Day Weekend - #bakebrave !


5 comments:

  1. The Coconut & Kaffir lime Five Valley Cordial sounds absolutely amazing. Must try it ! Where do you buy them ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More info on their website : http://www.fivevalleyscordials.co.uk/ - I got mine sent through for review

      Delete
  2. That cake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a slice last night and was impressed at how well the flavours came through

      Delete
  3. Cheryl, wow those colours! Thanks for adding to the cake extravaganza. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...