Friday 3 May 2013

Madhouse recipe : Beetroot Risotto


One of the things in last week's veg box was beetroot. Now, I love pickled beetroot in jars, especially in sandwiches to add a bit of moisture, but I have to admit, I've never eaten them fresh so I wasn't really sure what to do with them. I know just about everyone seems to be talking about Beetroot Risotto at the moment though, so I decided to try that.

Beetroot Risotto


ingredients :

2 onions
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
drizzle of olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
2 fresh beetroot, peeled and chopped
risotto rice
parmesan


I chopped and gently fried two onions and a crushed clove of garlic in a little olive oil until they became soft and translucent, then sprinkled over 2tsp of ground cumin and a pinch of salt. I added the diced beetroot and  continued cooking for 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the beetroot started to go soft.


Time to add the risotto rice. I used some Riso Gallo Riserva 1856, which was part of the hamper of products I won from them a while ago. Follow the pack instructions to add hot water or stock, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously and adding more water as it starts to dry out and stick.


Keep cooking until the rice and beetroot are nicely cooked through. Many of the beetroot risotto recipes I looked at online call for cheese - anything from Lancashire cheese to feta, goat's cheese or halloumi - but I was running low on cheese supplies when I looked in the fridge so I just went for a generous sprinkle of parmesan.

Madhouse Daddy thought it was a bit bland, but I thought it worked nicely as an accompniment to meat. We had it with pork chops but it would go with most things.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


#VegBoxChallenge - Week 2

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Beetroot !!! Will be giving this a go this week - yummy :p x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't like beetroot...... but maybe as part of a dish that might work! not sure I'll give it a go though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...