Tuesday 7 May 2013

Recipe : Crunchy Topped Cinnamon Apple Muffins


Today was a bit of an experiment. I always use silicon muffin tins when I'm baking muffins or fairy cakes because I love the fact that they don't stick. I had a bad experience with paper cake cases that stuck like glue to the cakes inside and swore I'd never use them again. But I received a gorgeous selection of Cath Kidston paper cake cases as part of my World Baking Day kit so I thought I'd try them out. I was really impressed - they don't stick at all and they do look very pretty. Oh and they also save on the washing up, which could have been the deal breaker ! Anyway, whatever you use, these muffins are wonderfully moist with a lovely crunchy top. They won't hang around long !

Crunchy Topped Cinnamon Apple Muffins

ingredients :

2 tbsp butter
2 tsp honey
1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
1/3 cup (75g) dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 apple, coarsely grated
1/3 (85ml) cup milk 
1/3 (85ml) cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 tbsp crunchy muscovado sugar

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Prepare the muffin cases on a baking sheet. (The recipe says it makes 6, I made 12 and I still think they're quite big !)


Melt the butter and honey over a low heat in a saucepan.


Mix the flour, cinnamon and dark brown sugar in a bowl.


Coarsely grate an apple - the recipe says to peel it but I didn't bother, I figure it's all extra fibre ! - and add it to the mix.


Gently fold in the milk, oil (I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil which worked fine) and egg, then add the melted butter and honey and stir until just combined.


Spoon into the paper cases and sprinkle with crunchy demerera sugar.


The recipe says to bake them for 30 minutes but because I made 12 instead of 6 with the mixture, I reduced the cooking time to 20 minutes which was perfect.


The apple makes them really moist and the demerera sugar gives them a lovely crunchy topping. They're not overly sweet so I was surprised to see how much the kids loved them !


The Diary of a Frugal Family

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Recipe : Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares

4 comments:

  1. Cinnamon does it for me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I love apple in cakes - these would be good ones for the kids, thanks for the recipe! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look gorgeous - thanks so much for linking up x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always go for silicone trays too but these look great

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...