Sunday 12 May 2013

Book review : Close My Eyes - Sophie McKenzie


Sophie McKenzie's Close My Eyes is one of those books that kept me reading way past my bedtime several nights on the trot because I was desperate to find out what would happen next. It's packed with twists and turns, red herrings and a central character who even doubts herself at times, wondering if she's just being paranoid or if she really is in the middle of a big conspiracy by those closest to her. I pride myself on guessing whodunnit way before the end of most thrillers that I read but this time, I didn't see it coming at all !

The book centres around Geniver, a young woman who still hasn't really come to terms with losing her only daughter Beth, stillborn eight years earlier. Her husband, Art, is keen for them to try IVF again, after several failed attempts, but Gen's heart isn't really in it. Then a mysterious stranger turns up at her door and throws her whole world into turmoil, claiming that her child was born in perfect health and whisked away by the doctor performing her C-section. Worse still, her husband Art is apparently in on the cover up.

You can't help but feel for Gen as she struggles with her conscience, knowing that this woman at her door is probably a raving loony or maybe a chancer out to make a fast buck, but nevertheless incapable of giving up on even the merest hint of hope that her much desired daughter could actually be alive and out there somewhere. But how and why would her baby have been taken away? The more she digs, the more confusing it all becomes and Gen no longer knows who, if anyone, she can trust or believe in any more.

Even once the book has reached its heart-stopping conclusion, it comes back with one last chilling surprise - but I won't give the game away, you'll have to read it yourself to find out !

It's a poignant, gripping, white knuckle ride of a book, especially in the second half once the pace really picks up, and one that will leave you thinking about the characters long after you've turned the final page.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £7.99

  • Paperback: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK (9 May 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1471111733
  • ISBN-13: 978-1471111730
  • Product Dimensions: 19.6 x 13 x 3 cm




Disclosure : I received a review copy of the book.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


Teen-read book review : Raining Fire - Alan Gibbons

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a good book,will have to get a copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, thanks for getting the collection started well. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. found this via Carole's chatter - this sounds like one to add to the kindle - I love a book that gives you a white knuckle ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books that keep me reading way into the night. :)

    THANKS for your post.


    Stopping by from Carole's Books You Loved July Edition. I am in the list as #75.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Entry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...