Wednesday 17 July 2013

Madhouse recipe : Pierre's Spiderman Birthday Cake

You don't turn 4 years old every day so I knew I needed to rise to the occasion and try something a bit out of the ordinary. Pierre is big into Spiderman and Cars so I decided to see if I could come up with something vaguely resembling either of those. I found inspiration in this Spiderman cake on the Baking Mad website.


Now I knew I wouldn't be able to produce anything this good because I didn't have any ready to roll icing or edible gel pens in the cupboard but here's what I came up with.


Pierre's Spiderman Birthday Cake

ingredients :

150g margarine
150g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
1 pod of vanilla paste
3 eggs
225g plain flour
1 sachet baking powder/raising agent

Additional Ingredients

To Decorate:
a big dollop of margarine
icing sugar (as much as you need to get the right consistency)
red and black food colouring

Method :


Beat the sugar and margarine together. (I usually do this by hand but am testing out my James Martin hand mixer at the moment - it does do the job extremely quickly, avoid arm ache and create a lovely light, fluffy cake batter.)


Mix in the vanilla paste. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the flour/baking powder. Mix to a smooth consistency and pour into a greased baking tin. Bake on a low heat (150°) in a preheated oven for 45 minutes. Check it is cooked by pressing the top - if it springs back, it's ready but if it stays indented, it needs a bit longer.


As I didn't have any ready-to-roll icing (apart from blue - not ideal for making Spiderman !), I decided to have a go making coloured butter icing. Not great in this heat because it stayed very soft. I blended margarine and icing sugar then added food colouring to make red and black, leaving a little bit white for the eyes.


Well, it's not perfect but it's not bad ! We used chocolate letters to spell out a special birthday message - "Joyeux anniversaire Pierre !" The birthday boy thought it was great and recognised him instantly so that was the main thing !

The cake is nice but quite bland so it's the perfect base for all that butter icing. I was worried it would be too sickly but it wasn't.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

8 comments:

  1. Aww that looks fab!! Hope he had a Happy Birthday x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane C English17 July 2013 at 20:52

    Looks great! I bet Pierre loved it as it was made especially for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job! Bravo. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fab, bet he loved it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done with the cake it's all the more special because it's home made. Its better than my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad he loved it ! Well done Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...