Monday 22 July 2013

Recipe : Black Cherry Crisp


As I told you yesterday, I came back from the farmers' market with a big box of black cherries that were right on their time so this morning, I spent 45 minutes stoning them and ended up with purple fingers for the rest of the day ! I'd preselected several recipes that had caught my eye and ended up making Black Cherry Crisp, using this recipe from Paula Deen on the Food Network website.


I'd never thought of tossing the chopped fruit in a mixture of sugar and flour before but this helped mop up the excess juice and made a thick syrup which stopped the topping from going soggy. I'll definitely try this technique with other juicy fruit in the future.


The topping is basically like crumble - a mixture of flour, brown sugar, oats and butter, although I used margarine to make it slightly healthier. I also replaced the almonds with pecans as it was what I had in the cupboard.

It's a really simple but utterly delicious recipe that was perfect for using up the cherries but that could be used with pretty much any fruit.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Recipe : Banana Yogurt Muffins

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious. Wish it were the season for cherries now, but unfortunately I'll need to wait.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...