Friday 18 October 2013

Original Cif Cream review


Being a reviewer, I get to test out loads of brand new and innovative products, sometimes before or just after they have hit the supermarket shelves. Then sometimes, as for this review for the Mumsnet Bloggers Network Research Panel, I get to rediscover a product that has been around for so long that even my nan used to use it. I can still remember a bottle of Cif - or Jif as it was back then - sitting on the side of the sink with a sponge to keep the enamel sink clean !

I must admit, I hadn't used Cif cream for a while. I'd been tempted away by the newer, more exciting, all singing and dancing (well, maybe not but definitely fizzing and bacteria busting) alternatives to have been invented more recently. I was keen to see how it would compare to its more contemporary peers.


Well, the "good" thing about having three kids in the house is that it's never a problem putting cleaning products through their paces. After a lovely painting session using Halloween colours (orange and black paint mainly), I sent the kids upstairs to wash their hands and get cleaned up and this is the state the bathroom sink was left in.


I squirted some of the Cif cream on to a sponge and was slightly surprised to see that, despite the new sleeker design of the bottle, the product is exactly as I remember it from all those years ago. With very little elbow grease, it managed to cut through the grime and give me a much cleaner sink. Not totally sparkling - there are still a few watermarks if you look closely - but not bad at all and certainly as good as my usual bathroom cleaner. (We do have very hard water so limescale is a real pain.)


The taps looked quite grimy too with watermarks all over them and limescale grime in the joint. I gave them a quick wipe over with the sponge then rinsed them clean and, again, was pretty impressed with what I saw.


Again, not 100% perfect but definitely better and I'm sure I could have got a better result if I'd spent more time on them.

Cif Cream promises to remove 100% of dirt, deliver beautiful results every time and rejuvenate your kitchen and bathroom. Well, 100% is a pretty tall order so even if it falls a little short, I was still very impressed with how this "grand-daddy" of cleaning products managed to keep up with the young whippersnappers that are trying to oust it !

It contains natural minerals in abrasive microparticles that gently but efficiently clean away surface grime, as well as degreasing agents for a thorough deeper clean. It is suitable for a wide variety of surfaces, including ceramic, vitroceramic, enamel, plastic and stainless steel. As well as dealing with soap scum and watermarks, it is supposed to be very good at removing burnt-on food stains so I'll be tackling my hob with it tomorrow to put those claims to the test.

I love the fact that one product can multitask in both cleaning hot spot areas of the house (kitchen and bathroom).

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £2.50 for 250ml

Disclosure :  “I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Network Research Panel, a group of parent bloggers who have volunteered to review products, services, events and brands for Mumsnet. I have not paid for the product or to attend an event. I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Vaseline Lip Therapy review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...