Thursday 21 November 2013

Haggis recipe #2 : Haggis and Cheese Pastry Parcels


Earlier on, I told you about our first foray into the world of haggis, with our classic association of Haggis, Neeps & Tatties. We were pleasantly surprised by the taste and discovered that haggis is actually rather nice. The second of the microwavable packs from Macsween appealed to me less though because it contains black pudding, which I'm a bit squeamish about. The whole idea of eating pigs' blood just seems wrong to me ! I decided I needed to "disguise" it a bit, so I opted for a puff-pastry parcel containing a slice of the Black Pudding Haggis topped off with some Applewood Spreadable Smoked Cheddar.


I used ready-made puff pastry, cut it in half, laid a slice of haggis on each half, spooned some cheese on top then folded over the pastry and crimped the corners to seal it. I brushed a little milk on top so it would go golden brown then popped it in the oven for 20 minutes.


The flavours and textures blended together beautifully and this actually turned out really nice, despite me not being keen on black pudding. It's lovely served with salad but would also go really well with the root veg mash that I made to accompany the Traditional Haggis.

One more recipe on the way using haggis, and the next one will be suitable for vegetarians.

Disclosure : I received a selection of MacSween Haggis goodies in order to write an honest review. The Applewood cheese was also sent through for me to take part in the Applewood Spreadable blogger challenge.


Linking up to the Scottish recipe roundup at Cooking Around The World

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Cairnsmhor range of handbaked Scottish sweet and savoury treats

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...