Tuesday 17 July 2012

Exclusive interview with Top UK Fashion and Maternity Stylist Alex Longmore



I always love a chance to hobnob with the celebrities (!!) so when I was asked if I'd like to  interview Alex Longmore, how could I say no? Alex is a key player in the British fashion industry and a favourite stylist amongst A-list celebrities, for the studio and the red carpet. She has teamed up with Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure to encourage mums and mums-to-be to hold maternity swishing parties (maternity and baby clothes swapping) to raise money for the premature baby charity, Tommy’s, and is also up for  offering mums and mums to be tips on how to style their bumps and different body shapes. Perfect !





1.       Hi Alex. You've worked with some huge show-biz names. Without getting yourself in trouble, can you tell us who your most memorable celebs to work with have been? 

All of them are memorable and unique in their own way but Julie Walters sticks out in my mind as she is a legend to work with, totally down to earth and truly talented. 



2.      Has there been one event that has stuck in your mind as the most memorable of your career? 

So many, but a highlight was working with Vinnie Jones on his album launch quite a few years ago. It was such a fun time and it didn’t feel like work at all. It was a great team effort.




3.      Have you ever had a fashion-disaster yourself? Or a look that you once loved but, with hindsight, was a definite no-no?! 

Yes, many. At my brother’s wedding a few years ago I wore the most dreadful shoes. Every time I look at the photos I cringe. I still learn everyday about what suits me and what doesn’tfashion should evolve, and as we grow our wardrobe should change to mirror that.

4.      I hear you've teamed up with Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure to encourage mums and mums to be to hold maternity swishing parties (maternity and baby clothes swapping) to raise money for the premature baby charity, Tommy’s. Can you tell us a bit about the campaign? 

Yes, it’s such a great campaign and a brilliant idea. Jenni Falconer and I have teamed up with Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure to inspire mums and expectant mums to hold Maternity Swishing parties to swap maternity and baby clothes, instead of splashing the cash on things that will only be worn a few times. Before swapping, it is essential to wash clothes with a kind and gentle detergent and fabric softener such as Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure to ensure clothes are clean, soft and ready to pass on!


People can visit the Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure Facebook page (www.facebook.com/comfortzoneuk) to download a Maternity Swishing pack which includes style tips from me and everything you need to hold your own party!

5.      Combining being a mum and being fashion-conscious is often near on impossible. Do you have any tips for new mums who want to get back to looking glam while not wanting to splash out on a new wardrobe until they've lost their baby weight?

 Holding a swishing party is a great idea, as maternity and post-pregnancy dressing can be expensive. Persil Non-Bio and Comfort Pure are encouraging mums to hold their own Maternity Swishing parties, where you can wash and swap maternity wear, women’s clothing and baby clothes with your friends and family. It’s the perfect way to uncover some fabulous clothes from friends who no longer need them.  


6.      A lot of pressure is put on new mums to be "yummy mummies". What do you think about this? 

I don’t necessarily agree. I think that term comes when the children are a bit older and mums start to be competitive with each other outside the school gates. I think when you’re in the first stages of motherhood; you have a glow and aura around you that is truly beautiful despite sleepless nights!




7.      What do you think of maternity clothes? Are they essential or will a pair of ultra-stretchy leggings and a T-shirt borrowed off your husband be good enough for the latter stages of pregnancy? 

I think maternity clothes have a place in our wardrobes, as long as you choose correctly. Women have the right to look gorgeous right up until they give birth, and certain maternity outfits can really make you look & feel great!



8.      And is it OK to keep wearing maternity clothes when you're no longer pregnant or will they just make you look fat? 

I have a couple of maternity tops in my wardrobe which I wear to death and that has had nothing to do with being pregnant. Some tops, especially, are cut really well to be super flattering, however I would stay away from dresses and jeans.




9.      In theory, the warmer weather will be here soon but most new mums won't want to be wearing skimpy vest tops or bikinis. Any advice on how to look your best without hiding away all summer?

For daytime relaxed elegance, match a figure hugging dark top with a printed pashmina. Also, remember that dressing is a balancing act. If you’re tall make sure you wear something that shows off your legs, if you’re petite then stick to tight wrap tops,  visit the Comfort Zone UK Facebook page (www.facebook.com/comfortzoneuk) for a whole range of style tips I have put together for mums to be.


I believe if the inner mummy is happy, the outer mummy will look great, as looking good essentially comes from within. Sleeping, exercising and eating well can do wonders for the body, and you will look and feel amazing.


10.  And what do you think will be the new trends for this autumn and winter? 

Country House Chic, the colours red and purple, and black leather.



Thanks very much to Alex for those words of wisdom and remember, you read it here first !! ;-)

for more information, go to https://www.facebook.com/ComfortZoneUK and click on the "Maternity Swishing" tab

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


4 comments:

  1. Great interview Cheryl! I love the idea of a Swishing party - although I threw many of my maternity clothes away because they looked worn or had lots of stains on (I found it awkward to eat with a bump and was forever spilling dinners on it lol!) I bought a mixture of cheap maternity wear and splashed out on some others. I defo think you pay more for quality as the clothes I paid more for lasted longer and kept their shape! I passed my 'good' stuff to my sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I used to spill things on my bump if I was eating off my lap !!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I really loved this while reading about the maternity style. Check more: maternity wear dresses.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...