Saturday 28 July 2012

My Tots 100 Book Club Choice : Kathy Lette - Foetal Attraction


The Tots100 Book Club is where bloggers share their favourite stories. Every month, the Tots100 invites 10 bloggers to tell everyone about stories that have moved and inspired them – and to share their favourite book with another blogger. Each month, they publish a round-up of the Book Club’s recommendations over on the Tots100 site, meaning you need never be short of great reading inspiration again!


I was delighted when, back in May, the lovely Alison from Dragons & Fairydust chose me to receive her favourite book, The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I have a vague recollection of reading this as a child and I think Sophie will love it so I can't wait to share it with her. Thanks Ali !

Now it's my turn to share my favourite book, and to choose a blogger to share it with. Narrowing it down to one book was actually really hard because I read so much, but in the end I went for my favourite feel-good author, Kathy Lette. I love the fact that she picks all the key traumatic and stressful moments in a woman's life, be that marriage, pregnancy or being a new mum, and relates all those things that seemed really horrific and capable of reducing you to tears in such a way that you'll be howling with laughter. She takes all those unmentionable little things that nobody ever warned you about and shouts them from the rooftops so you get a real sense of girlie solidarity. Not only you know you're not the only one to go through the things that she writes about, she'll also make you laugh about them so it somehow doesn't feel so bad !






I had a look through the Tesco Books website and couldn't find Mad Cows, which follows the trials and tribulations of a new mum, so I went instead for Foetal Attraction. The synopsis says : "Madeline Wolfe is a mischievous, mutinous, high-rise Aussie redhead, who can open beer bottles with her teeth and is on first name terms with every bartender in Bangkok. So how come she's ended up twelve thousand miles from home, in rainy London, with no friends, her visa about to expire, with no place to live - oh, yes, and pregnant?"

I know a flurry of lovely bloggers who have just had babies (which is why I instantly thought of Mad Cows) but I'm sure they'll still remember enough of their pregnancy to appreciate the incisive wit and humour of the book, so I nominate Emma who blogs at Mellow Mummy (currently in the middle of a huge roadtrip across Europe with a toddler and a baby - maybe Jack Kerouac's On The Road would have been a better choice, thinking about it!)

I hope you enjoy the book Emma ! And good luck with the rest of your trip :)

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about loving Kathy Lette books. The fact that as you say "She takes all those unmentionable little things that nobody ever warned you about and shouts them from the rooftops" is such a fantastic way of gettting these subjects talked about. I know when I pick up one of her books I will be in tears of laughter and its often the reason I choose to read the book in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always reread them as I'm going through the specific time (pregnancy/new mum etc). Always takes some of the drama out of the annoying day-to-day problems when you can laugh about it !

      Delete
  2. Definitely going to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good, just joined in the linky

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...