Friday 6 July 2012

Bakestone Baker's Dozen review


I seem to have a million emails from PR people inviting me to "Christmas in July" press events at the moment, but, here at The Madhouse, things have been so hectic lately that I'm having more of a May in July moment ! I've told you before that I was lucky enough to be selected as one of the Bakestone Baker's Dozen panel members and that I receive regular deliveries of yummy Bakestone products to give feedback on - either new recipes or soon-to-be-launched-if-they-get-the-thumbs-up products. Well, I'm ashamed to say, I haven't had a chance to blog about May's delivery yet - eek ! Needless to say, it has all been eaten and enjoyed - I just haven't told you about it yet, so here goes !


In this delivery, we received :

Tiger Loaf - "Take a walk on the wild side with this tasty bloomer with the crusty exterior and super soft inside". Now, I'd never tried Tiger Loaf before but I had heard a lot about it after Sainsbury's recently hit the news after renaming theirs Giraffe Bread following a plea from a 3-year-old customer ! Wikipedia explains : "The bread is generally made with sesame oil and with a pattern baked into the top made by painting rice paste onto the surface prior to baking. The paste dries and cracks during the baking process. The rice paste crust also gives the bread a distinctive flavour. It has a crusty exterior, but is soft inside." 



Well, Bakestone's Tiger Loaf certainly has the delicious slightly crusty top and soft chewy interior, but we were a bit underwhelmed by the tiger/giraffe markings. The Madhouse Mini-testers said it just looked like normal bread - which didn't stop them asking for another slice ! It's great for sandwiches and toast. It's smaller than regular sliced bread, which is great for me as I'm on a diet and ideal for little hands to hold easily.

 Seeded deli rolls - "A tasty and healthy option for packed lunches or a summer picnic!". Well, that's exactly what we used ours for. We filled them with ham and salad and everyone declared them utterly delicious. The seeds add a lovely depth of flavour and they didn't get totally squished or soggy in the cool bag.

Seeded loaf - "Packed full of taste for seed lovers everywhere". As above, the seeds add a lovely depth of flavour. I always prefer seeded or granary bread to plain sliced white but this one appealed to the kids too, which is an added bonus.



Limited Edition Jubilee Fruited Teacakes (available in B&M store, RRP 99p) - "A traditional teatime treat has been given a royal makeover to create a teacake fit for a queen!". Now these are no longer available because they were just for the Jubilee, but the only thing that seemed to be different was the packaging. You can still get hold of these huge, moist teacakes studded with juicy raisins though. They're delicious straight from the pack or toasted, slathered with butter - yum !

If I've made you feel hungry and lusting after a teacake now, I have some great news - Bakestone have a new facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/bakestonebread) and if you head over there before the 16th July, you can enter their competition to win a year's supply of Bakestone Teacakes. I'll also have a giveaway coming up here on my blog to win some yummy Bakestone goodies so watch this space !

for more information : http://www.bakestone.co.uk 

Other reviews you may be interested in :


2 comments:

  1. Ashamed to say I haven't blogged about May delivery at all. Most of my photos were destroyed when the laptop broke down, I have had just a few left on the camera, but none of the Tiger bread, for example, and most of my sandwich photos were gone as well. I sent a feedback form, and really must do some blog bost, with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great bit of marketing renaming it giraffe bread i thought

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...