Thursday 13 February 2014

Madhouse recipe : Golden Syrup Oat Biscuits with Smarties

You may remember that just before Christmas, I won rather a lot of porridge oats from Flahavan's. Although it's been lovely eating porridge with the golden syrup and maple syrup that we received to review and despite the fact that I've discovered that Juliette loves porridge, there's still rather a lot left in the cupboard so I decided to make some oaty biscuits. The obvious choice was flapjacks but Pierre asked me to put some of his Smarties in the biscuits, so I made these instead. They're lovely and sticky, because of the golden syrup. It was the perfect opportunity to try out my new sugars too.


After rummaging through the cupboards looking for inspiration, I came across this trio of sugars which I'd been sent to review from Tate & Lyle. They are part of the Taste Experience range of golden and brown cane sugars and I had the choice of British-inspired Golden Syrup sugar, Barbados-inspired Dark Muscovado and South Pacific-inspired Golden Granulated.


The Dark Muscovado sugar promises "a rich and aromatic molasses flavour with a moist, fudgy texture" that sounded perfect for gooey cakes and biscuits. The Golden Granulated, described as having "a shy aroma and subtle caramel notes", sounded ideal for balancing the flavours.

Golden Syrup Oat Biscuits with Smarties



ingredients :

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup white sugar (I used Golden Granulated sugar)
1/2 cup brown sugar (I used Dark Muscovado sugar)
1 egg
1/2 cup Golden Syrup
1 & 1/2 cups flour
a pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups quick cooking porridge oats
1 cup Smarties

Preheat the oven to 180°. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.


In a bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars then mix in the golden syrup and egg. 


Mix in the flour, salt and baking powder, then add the oats.


Throw in the Smarties and gently combine.


Dollop spoonfuls of cookie dough on to the baking sheet.


Bake for about 10-15 minutes until they've spread out, gone slightly firm and started to go golden brown.


Leave to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack or they will fall apart. 

Link up your recipe of the week


Joining in with the Biscuit Barrel Challenge at I'd Much Rather Bake Than ...

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Recipe : Turkey and Italian Herb Burger with Lemon Mayo and McCain French Fries

7 comments:

  1. I don't like porridge too sweet but I usually eat it every morning if I can with pecans, maple syrup, chai seeds...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the matching smartie hoodie :). These look really nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Didn't think about that ! We'd just got soaked on the school run !

      Delete
  3. Wow I'm drooling from just reading this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These delicious looking biscuits have made me aware of how long it has been since I have made Smarties cookies and now I really want to! Thanks so much for sharing them with the Biscuit Barrel challenge =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummmmy. They look like such fun to make with the kids and I do love an oaty biscuit. Sorry I'm popping over later than usual from #recipeoftheweek - Linky Tools went down! Thanks for linking up. I've Pinned and Tweeted this post and a fresh linky is open over on the blog x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...