Friday 28 February 2014

Madhouse recipe : Homemade Jaffa Cakes Disaster !

As soon as I saw a recipe for homemade Jaffa Cakes, I knew I wanted to have a go. The idea was genius - make little sponge cakes, cut circles out of an orange jelly then cover them in chocolate. Unfortunately, it all went horribly wrong but it was still good fun ! I think the recipe only needs a couple of tweaks for it to work so I might have another go.

Homemade Jaffa Cakes


ingredients :

2 eggs
50g sugar
50g plain flour
1 orange jelly
a bar of chocolate


Boil some water in a small saucepan. Place a heatproof bowl over the top so that the bottom of the bowl doesn't reach the water. Whisk together 2 eggs and 50g sugar until pale and fluffy (4-5 minutes). Add the flour and keep whisking until well blended.


Pour into 12 greased muffin tins and cook in a preheated oven at 180° for 10 minutes. This produces perfectly formed, firm sponge cake bases.


I'd prepared an orange jelly in a shallow tray and managed to cut out perfect circles with a cookie cutter that were the same size as the sponge bases. Once the cakes had cooled, I plopped a circle of jelly on top of each. So far so good. (This was what I thought would be the most delicate part but it was really easy.)


Next, you need to melt some chocolate and drizzle it over the jelly. I did actually predict what would happen  next (but hoped I'd be wrong - I wasn't !) - the chocolate melted the jelly and it all slid off in a gooey mess !


This didn't stop the kids eating them. They had several techniques. 1. Either eat just the sponge + jelly or sponge + chocolate. 2. As for the first technique but shove a spoonful of the missing ingredient in your mouth just before eating one. 3. Drizzle chocolate on top of the jelly and shove the whole thing in your mouth before it melts !

From looking around online, several recipes suggest adding a tablespoon of marmalade to the orange jelly. This presumably raises the melting temperature of the jelly but I would think it makes them taste more bitter.

So, have you made homemade jaffa cakes before? If so, how did you get on? I think we'll have to stick to making homemade Ferrero Rocher instead - they were dead easy and tasted divine !

Other recipes you may be interested in :

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Never made jaffa cakes myself, but had a big struggle yesterday with my Jammy Dodgers, talk of mismatched and wonky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ! It makes you wonder why we bother when you can buy a pack at the shops for 50p !! All good fun and memories though - the kids thought it was hilarious !

      Delete
  2. They don't look very professional but I'm sure they were still yummy! I've never attempted Jaffa cakes so sorry I've no tips - I just stick to fairy cakes that can't really do wrong :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...