Thursday 20 February 2014

Madhouse recipe : Quick Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice)


The starting point for this dish was a sachet of Nasi Goreng spice paste that I found in the cupboard.


I had a quick rummage in the fridge and cupboard and came up with the rest of the ingredients that I needed : a green pepper, a carrot, an onion, some king prawns and a microwavable sachet of Tilda white and brown basmati rice. Perfect !


Feeling a bit frugal, I've been saving the oil from the jars of olives in the Christmas hamper so I now have a selection of flavoured oils to use in cooking. This time, I used coriander and cumin flavoured oil.


After finely chopping the onion, carrot and green pepper, I stir-fried them for ten minutes until they were quite soft, while retaining some crunch.


I popped the rice in the microwave and added the prawns to the frying pan.


Once the rice had warmed up, I added it, along with the nasi goreng spice sachet, to the pan and continued to cook, stirring until everything was nicely combined.


This would be a great way of using up leftovers - you could add chicken from the Sunday roast, cooked vegetables and leftover cooked rice, amongst other things.


Linking up to the No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary and London Unattached because it uses up the oil from finished jars of flavoured olives (as well as leftover cooked rice)

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Madhouse recipe : Spicy Sausage & Mediterranean Veg Lasagne

3 comments:

  1. I love your tip about saving the flavoured oil from olive oil jars - very clever! Thanks for linking up with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look s delicious! I love spicy food like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious and so easy to make! Love the idea of keeping the oil from olive jars.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...