You wouldn't dream of leaving a hot iron or a kettle of boiling water within reach of your kids and I bet you're extra careful about turning saucepan handles inwards and keeping sharp knives out of the way. The most worrying things are those hidden dangers that aren't quite so obvious though. I was shocked last year to read a blogger saying that her child had been rushed to hospital after squeezing a laundry pod and getting the product in her eye - the nurses said that the stain cleaning element is as potent as bleach but the birghtly-coloured, pretty (and therefore appealing to inquisitive children) pods look much less dangerous than a bottle of bleach.
The Electrical Safety Council, a UK electrical safety charity, are campaigning to raise awareness about the dangers of children burning themselves on hair straighteners which have been left out by parents. 1 in 10 burns among children are caused by hair straighteners.
Watch the video, spread the word and find out more at http://www.esc.org.uk/public/safety-in-the-home/product-safety/beauty-burns/
As I mentioned in this week's freebie roundup, you can get a free heatproof pouch to put your hair straighteners away and keep your children safe. If you google "hair straightener burns", you'll see how truly horrific the damage to little fingers can be.
Other blogposts you may be interested in :