Tuesday 27 May 2014

Globe-cooking recipe : Gazpacho Ajo Blanco (Spain)


The most surprising recipe in this month's Spanish-themed Kitchen Trotter box was for Gazpacho Ajo Blanco. The red tomato, pepper and cucumber version is widely known but this white gazpacho was a new one on me. I was very surprised when I turned over the card and saw that it contained principally almonds and garlic ! Hmmm time to see what we'd make of it !

Gazpacho Ajo Blanco 


ingredients :

100ml olive oil
100g almonds
2 cloves of garlic
150g toasted breadcrumbs
800ml cold water
30ml white wine vinegar
salt


Blitz the garlic and almonds in a food processer. Add a little water if necessary to stop it flying around. Add a good pinch of salt.


Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl with a little water until they start coming together. (The recipe card says a few drops but I needed a few spoonfuls.)


Mix the garlic/almonds and the breadcrumbs together until it makes a smooth paste.


Put it back in the food processer/blender and blitz it, gradually adding the oil and vinegar. I used the Spanish oil from the Kitchen Trotter box which comes in a very pretty tin.


Add the water gradually until you get a smooth liquid. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.



The jury is out on this one ! It's not horrible but I found it quite bland. I'm not sure what it would need to perk it up - some extra garlic maybe ? (With this in mind, when I ate the remaining gazpacho the next day, I added a shake of garlic granules and a pinch of sea salt. I found it much nicer than the night before but I'm not sure if that's because of the last minute additions or because it had chilled for much longer in the fridge, which probably also helped.)


Served in a small ramekin alongside some Serrano ham and melon and the Green Pepper and Caballitas Tapas that I told you about at the weekend, it made a lovely light supper that is perfect for the summer.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globe-cooking recipe (South Africa) : Durban Curry

7 comments:

  1. sounds really strange! not sure I would like it. the tapas looks lovely though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That's exactly what I said when I read the recipe card - it does taste better than it sounds though !

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of the regular one so I'll give this a go. Looks great for a dinner party starter

    ReplyDelete
  3. How bizarre! I love the usual version, so would be tempted to try this out - maybe with a lot more garlic?
    Thanks for linking up to #TastyTuesdays, I've pinned this to the Tasty Tuesdays board on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I've never heard of white gazpacho! Looks interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting, never heard of it. Not sure if I would like it or not

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm seems like quite a lot of effort. I don't think I'll be giving this one a go x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...