Saturday 31 May 2014

Globecooking recipe : Turkish Kofte Meatballs


We've been on holiday to Turkey twice already (to Antalya and Bodrum) and we'll be going again this year (to Kusadasi) so I decided to try my hand at a Turkish-inspired meal. I'm trying to use up some of the more unusual spices on my spice rack which is why I used sumac, but you could substitute this for any other herbs and spices that you have.

Turkish Kofte Meatballs


ingredients :

500g mince (beef, turkey or lamb - whatever you fancy)
1 cup cooked rice (great for using leftovers or a sachet of microwavable rice is ideal)
1 onion, very finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
6 tbsp sumac (or substitute for other herbs/spices if you like)
1tbsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper
persil, mint (fresh or dried - whatever you have)
3 eggs
1 cup flour
2 cups toasted breadcrumbs 
olive oil


Put the mince, onion, garlic, rice and spices in a bowl, roll up your sleeves and squish it all together with your hands until everything is perfectly combined. Beat one egg and add to the mixture to help hold it together. Press it together into one large lump (keep kneading it until it all comes together) and place the bowl in the fridge for an hour.


Line up your dishes - first the bowl of meat mixture, next a plate of flour, then a bowl with the remaining two eggs (beaten) and finally the bowl of breadcrumbs. (I actually used up some stale savoury oat biscuits, crushing them in a freezer bag with a rolling pin, which gave them a lovely, slightly crunchy texture.) Don't forget to keep a baking tray or plate handy for putting the finished kofte on before you cook them. Pull off a piece of meat (a bit bigger than a golf ball), roll it in your hands then slightly flatten it between your palms. Gently dip and roll it in each bowl - flour, egg then breadcrumbs.


Heat a generous glug (enough to cover the bottom of the pan) of olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the kofte until totally cooked through - about 5 minutes per side until they've gone golden brown and the juices run clear when they're stabbed.


I served these hot with Spanish potatoes but they would also go really well with couscous and salad - maybe Moroccan-style orange and carrot salad for a change. The leftover kofte are also delicious cold, dipped in garlic mayonnaise, so they'd be great for picnics or lunchboxes.

Link up your recipe of the week


Join in with the No Waste Food Challenge at Utterly Scrummy this month


Linking up with Food of the World which is focusing on Turkish food

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Globe-cooking recipe : Simple Feijoada with Golden Rice (Brazil)

12 comments:

  1. Delicious! I think I have tried sumac, but ages ago, so cannot quite remember what it tastes like. Like you, I have too many spices which need cooking with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm yum! I have sumac on my shelf, yet unopened. It's something I bought awhile ago with full intentions of cooking with it but never got around to it (yet!) Thanks for linking up with the #nowastefoodchallenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flavour combinations here #Recipe of the week

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's something a bit different to do with ground meat - I'll have to try it! Thanks. (And I like the oatcake breading... )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it worked really well and was a great way of using up something that had been lingering in the cupboard !

      Delete
  6. Sumac? that is unusual. These look really tasty though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three tubs of the stuff, from various cookery challenges and globe-cooking boxes ! Glad to find a recipe to use some up !!

      Delete
  7. Ooooh, I think my lot would love these. Great idea. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek - I've pinned and tweeted this post and there's a fresh linky going live at 6pm this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delicious, a tasty family supper. I'll give them a go and freeze some for later so I've some on hand for a quick dinner option. Thanks so much for entering No Waste Food Challenge this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy, yummy. I am always looking for new and spicy recipes. I will be doing this one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...