Tuesday 20 May 2014

Madhouse recipe : Odds-and-ends Fridge Cake


Please tell me I'm not the only one to have loads of odds and ends of packets in the baking cupboard. I had a clearout earlier and found half-used (or 4/5 used !) packs of mixed seeds, pumpkin seeds, dessicated coconut, mini marshmallows, dried bananas, hundreds and thousands, dates and dried cranberries. I decided to throw it all together and add chocolate - you can't go wrong with that as a guiding principle !! - and it developed into a fridge cake.


That meant I'd need some crunch and dry ingredients to bulk it out so I went to look in the food cupboard and found bran flakes, porridge oats and muesli to use up too. Here's the recipe I used but whatever you do, don't go and buy anything special, just have a clearout in your baking cupboard and throw it all in ! Let me know what you find in yours - it can't be worse than mine !!

Odds-and-ends Fridge Cake


ingredients :

2 bars of milk chocolate
25g butter
a generous squeeze of maple syrup
a generous handful of each of the types of seeds/dried fruit from the top picture (mixed seeds, pumpkin seeds, dessicated coconut, dried bananas, dates and dried cranberries)
2 cups porridge oats
2 cups bran flakes
handful of muesli to finish off the bag 
mini marshmallows and hundreds and thousands to decorate


Break the chocolate into pieces and put it in a bowl with the butter. Melt it (in the microwave or in a bain marie) and stir in the maple syrup (or honey or golden syrup - I also squeezed in the end of a bottle of chocolate syrup).


Add all of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add a bit more syrup if it's too dry. Press into a greased tin and scatter hundreds and thousands over the top then press mini marshmallows into the surface. Put in the fridge for 1/2 hour minimum before eating.

Very tasty and I can see to the back of my baking cupboard again !

Romanian Mum
 
Other blogposts you may be interested in :

#ReadCookEat recipe : Lemon scones (inspired by Above All Things by Tanis Rideout)

3 comments:

  1. This is just the desserts i need for my girls today!

    thank you for your support and for linking up with the #fridayfoodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might make another one too - the first one has disappeared already !!

      Delete
  2. We love this. I have half a bag of veggie marshmallows in the cupboard too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...