Monday 19 May 2014

Yogurt Week recipe : Pear, Myrtle & Dried Cherry Yogurt Muffins


Today kicks off Yogurt Week, a celebration of all things yogurt, and I was challenged to come up with a recipe using - you guessed it - yogurt ! Well, that didn't really narrow things down much because it's such a versatile ingredient, it can be used in all manner of sweet and savoury recipes - I posted a recipe roundup yesterday of some great dishes with yogurt that I've made recently - but I decided to do something a bit special to mark the occasion. I made these Lychee, Rose & Dried Cherry Muffins with strawberry yogurt which were supposed to be my entry but then I sabotaged them by accidentally using plain flour instead of self-raising - aaagghhh ! They tasted divine but had the consistency of bread pudding which wasn't what I had in mind, so I decided to have another go, tweaking the recipe slightly and trying a different flavour combination (and using self-raising flour !).


Pear, Blueberry & Dried Cherry Yogurt Muffins


ingredients :

1 can of pears, drained and chopped into small pieces
100g dried cherries
350g self-raising flour
100g golden caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
30ml myrtle berry-flavoured olive oil
350ml yoghurt (I used strawberry drinking yogurt)
a pinch of salt
1tsp cinnamon


Time to break out another of the flavoured olive oils that I've been experimenting with- I thought the Mirto myrtle berry flavour would go well with the combination of fruit in the muffins.


It's a very simple recipe. Just throw all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly, with a whisk or a hand mixer.


Spoon into silicon muffin cases and put on a baking sheet. At this point, they look identical to the  Lychee, Rose & Dried Cherry Muffins that I messed up !


Bake in a preheated oven at 190° for 25-30 minutes. Ahh that's more like it - they've risen a lot more this time.


Much fluffier - this has been a great experiment in the difference between plain and self-raising flour !

I was going to top these with icing made from more strawberry yogurt mixed with butter icing (margarine and icing sugar creamed together) but the kids scoffed half of them as soon as they came out of the oven !

Taste-wise, they're not as impressive as the lychee, rose and dried cherry ones but at least these ones have the right fluffy texture !

If you fancy joining in with the Love Yogurt recipe competition, all details are here : http://loveyogurt.org/yogurt-week/food-stylist-competition

Casa Costello

Disclosure : This is my entry for the Love Yogurt recipe competition. I received a shopping voucher for ingredients.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Stapleton Yogurts review and recipe roundup

4 comments:

  1. they look delicious, I've never thought of putting yoghurt in muffins before

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so soft and airy - its like they've risen more to compensate for the plain flour ones! Thanks again for linking up with #Bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That's very true - I can imagine them going na-na-na-na-na-na !!

      Delete
  3. Oooh they look so good! I love a good muffin! x #BakeoftheWeek

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...