Sunday 4 May 2014

Tilda Vintage Basmati review


Until I received a pack from Tilda, I had no idea that vintage basmati even existed. Apparently I'm not the only one.


On the packaging, it says : "Not many people know Basmati improves with age.We have taken time to store every precious grain of this select 2006 harvest to create a richer, more vibrant flavour. Basmati relies on nature to mature and flourish, so every year's harvest is different. Our farmers recognise an exceptional crop when they see one and 2006 was one of the finest." Well, that's just given me an idea - the next time (French) Madhouse Daddy and his dad start discussing the specially selected vintage wine at the dinner table, I'll tell that that I'm serving vintage rice !


I was actually intrigued to see if we'd notice any difference. Well, tastewise, there wasn't anything that really marked it out from our usual Tilda basmati - it had a slightly stronger flavour perhaps, but didn't taste different - but the texture seemed firmer and fluffier. No two grains stuck together at all - even after letting it cool and putting the leftovers in a Tupperware container for the next day, every grain stayed whole and separate from the others. You can taste that it's a quality product because of this perfect, no-stick texture - I don't think I've ever managed to cook such perfect rice in my life ! It is a lot more expensive than regular rice though, so for general day-to-day cooking, I think I'd stick to the standard basmati. It's nice for a special occasion though.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : £4.99 for 500g


Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

What's cooking at The Madhouse? menu plan 2/5/14

Zico Chocolate Coconut Water review

Inspiration(s) and Competitions from Birds Eye #Birdseyebloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...