Monday 4 May 2015

#KitchenClearout recipe : Hairy Bikers' Cheese Pie & Deep South Brown Sugar Steak


If there's one thing the Hairy Bikers know how to do, it's fuss-free, family-friendly comfort food, so when I saw their recipe for Cheese Pie, I knew it would be a winner. It also reminds me of the Cheese & Potato Pie that I made in home economics when I was at school and proudly brought home for the family to eat for dinner !


It's very simple to make. Boil some potatoes and when they are soft, mash them with lashings of milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Put half in an oven proof dish and sprinkle generously with grated cheese. 


Add a second layer of potato and top with toasted breadcrumbs and more grated cheese - don't hold back, it needs to be really cheesy ! Put in the oven at 180° for 30-40 minutes.


As I was on a #KitchenClearout mission, I decided to use up these two forlorn-looking tomatoes from the veg box in the fridge. I chopped off the bashed bits then thickly sliced them and put a line down the middle of the potato for the last 20 minutes of cooking time.


So what to serve with it? I had some steak that I'd defrosted and thought it would be nice with a marinade - a quick rummage in my tin of seasoning sachets revealed this Schwartz Grill Mates Deep South Brown Sugar Marinade Mix.



I have used this before and just sprinkled it over meat with olive oil drizzled on top, but this time I followed the istructions on the back of the pack, mixing in orange juice, white wine vinegar and olive oil.



I left it to marinade for half an hour while the Cheese Pie was in the oven then fried it. It was lovely - sweet and smoky with just the right amount of subtle chilli kick. (I didn't put any on the kids steak, which was just as well - they thought it was too spicy !)


And there you have it - Hairy Bikers' Cheese Pie & Deep South Brown Sugar Steak. Result : full tummies and not-so-full kitchen cupboard/fridge !



Fancy having a rummage in your kitchen cupboards, fridge, freezer or spice rack to see what needs using up? See what you can make with it then come and share on the #KitchenClearout linkie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...