Tuesday 19 May 2015

Madhouse recipe : Sri Lankan Chicken


I'm calling this a Madhouse recipe rather than a globe-cooking recipe because it's a pure invention on my part ! One of the exotic spice blends in my selection from Spice Kitchen (that I told you about here) was "Sri Lankan Spices" (basmati rice, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cassia bark, fenugreek seeds, cloves, cardamon, mustard seeds, black peppercorns, kashmiri chilli & turmeric) so I googled to see what kind of food I could use it in - I discovered lots of curries and vegetarian dishes but also many dishes with Chinese flavours going on, often all on the same plate, so I decided to go for that kind of idea. The resulting dish was very nice but I'm not sure how authentic it was (probably not very). The Sri Lankan spices are pretty hot so you don't need to add much !


Sri Lankan Chicken


ingredients : 

drizzle of olive oil
2 onions
1 clove of garlic
500g chicken breast
2 carrots
1/2 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
2 pouches peanut satay sauce
1/2tsp Sri Lankan spice

basmati rice
fresh spinach leaves + a little crème fraîche
1 tin sweetcorn


Heat the olive oil in a large pan and gently fry the garlic and onion to release the flavours.


Toss the chopped chicken into the pan and stir, then throw in the finely chopped carrot and the red and green peppers. Stir fry for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile put the rice on to cook.


Add the satay sauce to the chicken, as well as the Sri Lankan spices, and stir to make sure everything is evenly covered. Put the spinach leaves in a separate pan along with 1-2tbsp boiling water (I took some water from the rice pan) and wilt them very quickly. Stir through a couple of spoonfuls of crème fraîche and add to the rice, along with a tin of sweetcorn. Mix and serve the rice with the chicken spooned on top.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...