Friday 24 April 2015

Globecooking recipe : Shawarma (Middle East)


A few years ago, there was a restaurant that we used to go to regularly on Friday lunchtimes called Oriental Express and their signature dish was shawarma. Similar to a healthier version of a kebab, it was a mix of spicy chicken, rice, salad and garlic sauce.


When I spotted this Shoarma mix in a local discount store, I couldn't resist trying it out. It's from Knorr in Spain but I'm not sure if it's available in other countries. Now that I've tried it, I'll be recreating it myself with my own spice rack though, so I'll give you the recipe suggestion from scratch.

Shawarma


ingredients :

4 chicken breasts
1 onion
olive oil
shawarma seasoning (suggested mix : cumin, coriander, garlic granules, paprika, turmeric, Cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic salt)

2 cloves garlic
3tbsp mayonnaise
6tbsp Greek yogurt or ricotta

salad and rice to serve
optional : flour tortillas or pitta pockets


Crush the garlic and mix into the mayonnaise and ricotta/yogurt. Put in the fridge to chill.


Put all the spices in a bowl and add a drizzle of olive oil. Blend to a smooth paste and add 1tbsp water if necessary. Finely chop the chicken and onion and toss in the spice paste until evenly covered. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan and fry the marinaded chicken for 10 minutes until cooked through.


Serve with rice and salad, with a generous dollop of garlic sauce on the side. Alternatively use the chicken and salad to stuff a tortilla or pitta pocket.

This is my ultimate fakeaway. It tastes delicious and seems like a naughty kebab but is actually quite healthy.

*** Don't miss my country-by-country globecooking recipe index ! ***

6 comments:

  1. This looks really tasty! We're having lasagne for dinner, with spinach and tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really tasty! I also noticed in the local Polish quite a few of Knorr and Dr Oetker products that they don't do here. I'll see if the Seasoned pioneers have their own spice blend of this name

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks so nice! I have never heard of this recipe but I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats not spanish.....its portuguese

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...