Thursday 23 April 2015

Madhouse recipe : Bacon & Egg Breadbaskets


Fancy something a bit different for breakfast or brunch? How about these Bacon & Egg Breadbaskets ? As they are made in silicon muffin cases, I debated calling them Bacon & Egg Muffins but I think the Golden Arches might have that one covered already !

Bacon & Egg Breadbaskets

ingredients  (for each basket) :

1 slice of bread
1tbsp bacon pieces
1 egg


Cut the crusts off a slice of bread and push it into a silicon muffin mould. Don't worry if it tears and use little pieces pulled off the crusts to fill any gaps.


Pop them on a baking sheet and put them under the grill to toast for a few minutes.


While the bread is toasting, fry up the bacon pieces and drain off as much grease as possible with kitchen roll. Put a spoonful of bacon pieces in the bottom of each breadbasket and crack an egg into the top of each basket. Don't worry about the excess egg white that will run over the edges.


Put back in the oven for 10 minutes until the eggs are set.



The kids gobbled these up with much enthusiasm but they didn't work exactly as I planned. I thought the egg would run down and cover the bacon pieces which would end up encased in egg, with the bread also coated in egg. The egg actually sat on top of the bacon though so we ended up with crunchy toast, a layer of bacon then a baked egg sitting on top. With hindsight, I would therefore use beaten eggs next time and make sure the bacon was completely covered. The eggs ended up with a strange, almost plasticky texture on top too so I think beaten eggs would definitely work better, even if they wouldn't look as good.


You may remember I told you about Warburton's new adverts featuring Sylvester Stallone in a recent blogpost and I mentioned that they'd sent me through the kit needed to recreate Sly's look. Well, here you go - sorry it's a bit blurry, I think Juliette was giggling too hard when she took it ! (Or maybe she was in a rush to eat her breadbasket !)

Disclosure : I received a hamper of goodies from Warburton.

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try this, it looks scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL my son took my photo of me in my gear and he had a good giggle as well. I love these. You can also cut a hole in the toast with a cutter and pop the egg in to make an interesting breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh that's a great idea - the kids would love that :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I am so giving my hubby a treat with these at the weekend, ty so much for the recipe, very clear with great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These made my mouth water, so as I'm on holiday next I'm going to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look fab. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuedays

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...