Tuesday 9 July 2013

Maille au Miel honey mustard review


I'm really not keen on mustard - I don't know why because I like chilli heat but have never been won over by the heat of mustard in my food - so when I received some Maille au Miel honey mustard to try out, I wasn't expecting to like it. But I did ! The sweetness of the honey nicely counterbalances the heat of the mustard so it is lovely and mild, making your tastebuds tingle then soothing them with the mellowness of the honey. I can't say I was that surprised though - Maille are the biggest name in mustard in France and have been honing their expertise for 260 years so they definitely know what they're doing !


I decided to cook some honey mustard pork chops by slathering a thick layer of mustard over the top of the meat before pan frying it. 


Flavourwise, this worked really well, giving the pork a beautifully sweet and complex flavour. However, as the meat cooked and the juices rose to the surface, this actually washed off quite a lot of the mustard which was a shame. I surprised myself by adding a dollop on the side of my plate - definitely not bad for someone who doesn't like mustard ! I'll be trying this recipe again but maybe in a pork casserole next time, coating the meat before frying it, then adding a generous dollop to the pot as it cooks. Or maybe using it as a marinade overnight so that the meat soaks up all the lovely flavours before cooking. The Maille website also suggests using it as a glaze for roast chicken or turkey or in salad dressing.

However I end up using it, I'm impressed to see that the Maille au Miel has reconciled me to mustard ! A 1 teaspoon serving of Maille au Miel contains 10 calories so it's a lighter option to mayonnaise too.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £1.49 for 230g

for more information : http://www.maille.co.uk

Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review

Other reviews you may be interested in :

1 comment:

  1. I love mustard, and actually Maille is one of the brands I buy. I love adding it to salad dressings or as a sauce to roast chicken. Yum

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...