Monday 30 April 2012

Exclusive interview with the lovely Bear Grylls



I'm often asked what the best thing about being a blogger is and I have to say, the thing I get the bigget kick out of is having the opportunity to do things that never would have presented themselves otherwise. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I was very excited to be asked if I'd like to interview Bear Grylls, currently working with Persil small & mighty on their campaign to get kids active. Here are the questions I asked him and his replies :

  1. First of all, can I ask you where the nickname Bear came from?
It’s come from Edward, Eddie, Teddy, Teddy Bear! It’s not very butch but then again, my sister gave it to me when I was a day old!
 
  1. It's been great to see all your work with Persil small & mighty promoting active outdoor fun for kids. Why do you think this is so important for today's youth?
It’s so sad young people don’t get a chance to enjoy the great outdoors as much as our generation. Persil small and mighty is encouraging kids and parents to love adventures again.
 
  1. What kind of childhood did you have yourself ? And how does this compare to your own kids' idea of play?
Really active! It was all about running around outside, climbing, making rafts and camping in trees. All of these activities made me closer to my father. These kind of activities don’t have to be elaborate- they’re simple and fun and they fired my imagination.
 
  1. You were the youngest ever person to be appointed Chief Scout. What does this represent for you ?
Being Chief Scout means a lot to me. It encourages young people to get access to adventure! It focuses on important life skills and working together.
 
  1. Were you a Scout when you were younger? Do you think being a Scout is still "cool" for modern kids ?
Yes, I was a scout when I was a kid! By 8 years old I had a lot of confidence from it. I just think that life isn’t about being cool – it’s about looking after your friends and yourself. Life’s about experiencing things and that’s what scouts encourages. I think that’s about as cool as it gets!
 
  1. You've been on some fantastic adventures. Is there one trip in particular that sticks in your mind as the most exciting or dangerous situation you've ever been in ? And are there any that, with hindsight, you wouldn't do again?
I have to say Everest was pretty life-changing. It had always been a dream of mine that my Dad encouraged. A military team was picked and you had to climb or lose lives. That trip changed me in many ways. I think that mountains have an ability to humble and inspire you. I went back to Everest to look at doing a paraglider attempt but I wouldn’t attempt Everest again.
 
  1. Do you ever think "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here" when you're filming?!
Yes, often. All the time actually! But, it’s like life- the pain and discomfort doesn’t last forever and you just have to think of the end goal.
 
  1. What are some of the most revolting things you've eaten in the wild?
(Laughs) Ah, yes. I would say goats testicles, frozen yak’s eyeballs and camel intestine fluids- not great!
 
  1. Just looking through some of your madcap exploits - rowing a bath-tub naked along the River Thames, having a record-breaking high altitude dinner party, ... - who comes up with these crazy ideas ? And do you have any others planned?
Of course! I come up with most of them! Life is meant to be an adventure. I have lots of new plans from new TV shows and films, to other things. You’ll have to wait and see!
 
  1. Have you ever turned down a challenge because you thought it would be too demanding or dangerous ? 
I’m super lucky to get approached most days by people with amazing challenges. Some are really dangerous but my wife’s a pretty strong filter!
 
  1. As a parent, how would you feel if (when ?!) you own children come and tell you they're going to go climbing Everest, canoeing over Niagara Falls or something equally daring ?
My dad always said to me you have to follow your dreams - which is what I did. As a parent I think you have to encourage, encourage, encourage. I would be behind them.
 
12.   Do you have any advice for parents who would like to get their kids away from the TV screens and games consoles and out into the natural world to have fun and adventures as a family ?
Yes, check out our Persil top ten things to do before you’re ten guide-  all the ideas are there for all kinds of outdoor activities. You don’t need to go on expensive holidays to do these things- they’re right on your doorstep!

17 comments:

  1. How lovely being able to interview Bear Grylls. We often watch his shows as a family and really enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is indeed one big adventure. Nice interview, what a great opportunity and read :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh excited for you, great questions x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous you got to interview him, he's a big hero in our house. Have to say we all sit glued to the TV when he's on, but we do have a great outdoor life too, though I'm not sure on the goats testicles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No me neither but I suppose if it was that or starve to death, maybe ... !! :-/

      Delete
  5. what a great interview, i am quite amused by how he got the name bear, wasnt expecting that answer hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That was what I thought too - it always sounded so virile until then !! lol

      Delete
  6. I actually thought that was his real name ... d'oh! Love Bear - it must have been great fun coming up wit th questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. great questions being asked

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great fun but I had to wrack my brains a bit ! I did ask for any ideas on twitter too, for any followers who were around ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you interviewing him. I too like his pet name!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good man to know in an emergency .. have seen what he does with a leftover snakes' skin when there was nothing left to drink in the desert!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how he got his name... I wouldn't have guessed his name was Edward

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting to know how he got his name. I saw him do a live interview at HTB church in London a couple of years ago & he was very down to earth & funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooohhhhh you lucky devil you! He certainly is someone id like to get dirty with.hehehe. What a fab intervioew and what a fab oppurtunity to have interviewed him.

    @mariajkknight

    ReplyDelete
  15. you lucky devil!!! Wouldnt mind dirtying my clothes with him!!! What a fun interview and great chance to interview him!

    @mariajkknight

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...