Monday 23 April 2012

Rod and Ben's Thai Chicken Soup review


Two new Thai soups from Rod and Ben’s will be launched in the UK at the beginning of May. Thai Chicken and Thai Vegetable will join the ranks of seasonal summer flavours such as Gazpacho, Tomato and Basil, Pea and Mint and Courgette and Tomato. Having already reviewed some of Rod & Ben's soups here, we were over the moon to receive a pot of the Thai Chicken Soup to try out.

It couldn't have arrived at a better time either. As always happenes when I'm on holiday, I've come down with a stinking rotten cold and felt decidedly ropey last night. Forget chicken soup for the soul, this is chicken soup for a sore throat and nasty cold !


Even with my bunged-up nose which meant I couldn't taste as much as usual, I could taste the lovely warming flavours of the soup and really liked the thick texture. The steam from the bowl helped unclog my nose, the hot liquid soothed my throat, I stopped feeling cold and shivery and just felt generally much better after eating it, although I had admittedly taken two paracetomol tablets just before !

I scanned the ingredients list and was really pleased to see that there is nothing at all on there that I wouldn't find in my own kitchen : Vegetable stock, coconut milk, potatoes, onions, courgettes, chicken, red peppers, sweetcorn, fresh coriander, lime juice, ginger, sunflower oil, garlic, light brown sugar, basil, salt, chilli pepper, sunshine, rain ! That's it - not an e-number in sight.

You might be thinking "uh oh, coconut milk and light brown sugar - bet it's packed with calories" but you'd be wrong. 100g contains just 46 calories so a generous bowlful containing half a pot contains less than 150 calories. Great news if you're watching your waistline.

The soup tastes homemade and is absolutely idea when you need a quick, nutritious meal, especially as it can be frozen. 100% of the agricultural ingredients are organic and the soup is made with produce from Rod & Ben's award-winning Devon farm and other local organic suppliers. 

There is a little logo on the label saying that Rod & Ben's soup is recommended by Rick Stein but you really don't need the celeb endorsement to know that you have the perfect bowl of soup in front of you. One spoonful is all you need !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £3.99 for 600g

for more information :http://www.rodandbens.com/

Disclaimer : I received a pot of soup in order to write the review.

 Other reviews you may be interested in :

2 comments:

  1. I love Thai chicken curry, never tried soup form though, looks good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious, what a quick healthy meal *scribbles on bottom of 'to try' list*

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...