Monday 30 April 2012

St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub review


As I approach my forties, the skin on my face is becoming drier and feeling tighter so I always use a moisturiser and/or anti-ageing cream. Although I love using exfoliating body scrubs in the shower, I actually avoid using them on my face because, when I've used them in the past, I've found them to be a bit harsh and they dry my skin out even more. Well, that is all about to change because I was absolutely wowed by the St Ives apricot scrub that I received to review.


Labelled as the UK's number 1 scrub brand, I was keen to give it a go and see why it's so popular. I received the Invigorating "Fresh Skin" apricot scrub, but there are several different scrubs available for different skin types. The instructions tell you to "Moisten face with water. Dispense product onto fingertips and massage over face. Rinse with water. Avoid direct contact with eyes. In case of contact with eyes, flush thoroughly with water.". I squeezed some scrub on to my fingertips and could see the little grains of exfoliating product, which I assumed to be crushed up apricot kernels, as it is an apricot scrub. A closer look at the ingredients list reveals that it is actually walnut shell powder and corn kernel meal, although it does also contain apricot fruit extract.


I think this photo is Sophie's revenge for all the times I make her pose with a review product ! After splashing some water on to my face, I massaged the apricot scrub into my skin. It feels creamy and refreshing and, although you can feel the little grains of walnut shell doing their magic and exfoliating your skin, it doesn't feel at all scratchy or harsh. I focused particularly on the area around my nose, where I have dilated pores, and after a couple of minutes massaging the skin on my face, I washed it all off.

There was some very slight redness around my nose but that disappeared within a few minutes. My skin instantly felt refreshed and revigorated - not at all irritated or sore - and I had the same sensation as after using my Go Ginger! skin cream (that I reviewed here) which boosts blood circulation to your skin. After patting dry my skin, I was about to instinctively reach for the moisturiser, convinced that my skin would have been dried out by the scrub and in need of some TLC, but I was amazed to see that it actually looked and felt hydrated and soft, as if I'd just moisturised it.

A little while later, the kids came and gave me a kiss and cuddle and Juliette said "oooh your skin is all soft and smells nice" ! I was really impressed with the way my skin felt after just one application, but the tube says that for best results, you should use it three to four times per week. As it is so gentle and nourishing, I'll definitely be happy to use it that often.

The packaging states that it uses 100% natural exfoliants and is formulated without parabens and phthalates so I was slightly disappointed to see the large number of long and complicated names in the ingredients list. Things like Glyceryl Stearate, Propylene Glycol and Sodium Laureth Sulfate don't sound particularly appealing, although even the natural ingredients are given their scientific names which sound less natural

The product promises to "gently exfoliate dull surface cells to instantly reveal smooth, radiant skin" and  I have to agree that it does exactly what it says on the tube. I love the gentle, non irritating formula, the fruity apricot fragrance and above all, the way my skin looked and felt afterwards. I was surprised to learn that St Ives don't only produce facial scrubs - they also have a range of body scrubs, body-firming moisturisers and cleansing wipes - so it's a brand I'll definitely be investigating more.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £3.99 for 150ml


Disclosure : I received a tube of St Ives apricot scrub in order to write the review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


4 comments:

  1. I keep thinking I should try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a brave woman to show the scrub in action, but I wish I looked as fresh with a mask on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh when Sophie suddenly appeared with a camera !!

      Delete
  3. i recieved a sample of this but have yet to try it, sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...