Friday 11 May 2012

Ben and Holly’s Little Kingdom : The Elf Games DVD review

 BAFTA-winning pre-schooler faves Princess Holly and Ben Elf are back in a brand new DVD, which will be released next week on 14th May. Taking on board the current London 2012 frenzy, the DVD is called The Elf Games after one of the episodes focusing on the Little Kingdom's version of the Olympics.

One of the things I like about Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom is the fact that it's a programme that appeals to viewers of all ages, even the grown-ups, and the moral of the Elf Games episode led to an interesting discussion with the girls. In the story, Holly wants to use magic to win a trophy but Ben goes for training and hard work instead, showing that you have to put in an effort to succeed. 7-year-old Juliette understood this as a message about cheating not being good, while 10-year-old Sophie related it to athletes using drugs. Meanwhile, 2-year-old Pierre just giggled at their antics and didn't worry about the morals! And that is the beauty of Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom - it can be enjoyed on a number of levels whatever your age. (I personally love Nanny Plum - and from discussions of twitter, I'm not the only parent to say so !)

The DVD contains ten episodes :
1. Elf Games
2. Cows
3. The Toy Robot
4. Dinner Party
5. Big bad Barry
6. King Thistle's Birthday
7. The Wand Factory
8. Daisy and Poppy's Pet
9. The Elf Rocket
10.Picnic on the Moon (our favourite, after Elf Games - I have just two words to say : magic jelly !)
The colourful, simple animation and funny, quirky stories appealed to all three Madhouse Mini-testers - and me ! We'll definitely be watching this DVD long after the real Olympics Games are done and dusted !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £8.99

for more information : http://www.littlekingdomstore.co.uk/*/DVD/Ben-and-Holly-s-Little-Kingdom-Vol-4-The-Elf-Games-PRE-ORDER/119QE01M7000

Disclosure : I received a preview disc of the DVD in order to write the review.

Other reviews you may be interested in : 

8 comments:

  1. This looks perfect for my nephews. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this review! I must admit I sometimes struggle to find a dvd that appeals to all four of my children - 2 girls and 2 boys too! I love dvds/stories with a moral to the story! I have a great bog book of Esop Fables that I often read to my children - I feel they teach children good social skills without them realising it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooooooooooo i might have to get one of these for my girls, sounds fab!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. both my kids love this - this and peppa are always a hit with both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids love Ben & Holly and like you I thing Nanny Plum is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Ben & Holly - and I think the stories and characters are great

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids love Ben and Holly. (I quite like it too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a great show, i often find myself watching it when the kids have abandoned the tv lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...