Saturday 19 May 2012

Garnier Ambre Solaire Team GB Suncare review


This year, with the Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics, you don't have to be a marketing genius to know that slapping a Union Jack on your product will be a very astute commercial move. For Garnier Ambre Solaire, it's not just a ploy to cash in on the tourists though - they are sporting official Team GB packaging because they have been selected as official licensed Team GB products. 

There are two Garnier Ambre Solaire products proudly displaying the Team GB logo : Ultra-Moisturising SPF30 and Clear Protect+ SPF30. With the totally atrocious weather we've been having lately, I haven't actually had a chance to try them out in the sun but, having using Ambre Solaire products in the past, I think I can safely say that it offers very good protection, even in Turkey and Tunisia (which is where it will get a thorough testing this summer - two weeks in Zarzis in August, yay !).


Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultra-Moisturising SPF30 is described as a non-greasy, high factor protection which protects against UVA and UVB rays using a patented filtration system containing Mexoryl SX and which is enriched with antioxidant Vitamin C. Garnier say that "the sun protection lotion helps to strengthen the skin’s natural defences and it protects against long-term sun-induced skin damage and premature ageing. The new improved formula is moisturising and non-greasy for a more pleasant application."


It comes out as a typical sun lotion and has that definite "summer holiday" fragrance. It's quite runny so you might want to pop this one in a plastic bag before you put it in your suitcase in case the top comes undone and it leaks everywhere ! During application, you can see the white lotion on your skin, which helps to see where you've applied it and which bits you've missed, but it is quickly absorbed, leaving no white residue or stickiness at all. There is a slight oily sheen to the skin but it's not greasy or unpleasant. It actually feels just like a normal moisturiser.



The second product, Garnier Ambre Solaire Clear Protect+ SPF30, offers high protection in a clear spray. Garnier explain : "Applying thick sun cream can be a deterrent from applying sun protection, especially for men or before playing sport. Garnier Ambre Solaire’s Clear Protect+ range of sun-care sprays offers transparent protection from the sun’s rays in an easy-to-use spray format. These innovative clear sprays
are water resistant and give non-greasy, non-sticky protection with no white marks." Well, I'd never thought about these clear sprays targetting men but that is EXACTLY what Madhouse Daddy Mike says when I suggest he should put on sun cream in the summer ! 



The product sprays a fine mist of oily liquid, which is quickly absorbed into the skin, again leaving no horrible greasy or sticky residue, just a slight sheen to the skin and a sensation of moisturisation. The only downside is that the label says this shouldn't be used on the face and that is exactly where I would have wanted to use it, as I hate having white marks on my face from sun cream ! The label also warns that this product contains alcohol so it shouldn't be used on children or inflamed skin (which, I would guess, includes sunburnt skin). That's a bit of a shame as I prefer to buy one product for the whole family.

 If you've been lucky enough to get tickets to go and see the Olympics this summer, this is the perfect sun cream to pop in your bag !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP: Sun Protection Lotion £13.92 for 200ml, Clear Protect + £14.29 for 200ml

Disclosure : I received two Team GB Ambre Solaire products in order to write the review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


10 comments:

  1. I like the look of the transparent sun spray, my OH always moans that the other type is sticky. I shall give this a go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have always loved Garnier Ambre Solaire and it is the brand I go for when buying suncreams, along side Piz Buin. I know you can buy cheaper, like Boots on brand, but I always feel more confident using these brands simply because they always get such high rating in reviews. Both me and my children do have quite fair skin and we do burn easily so we go through loads of he stuff! In one way, I am glad we don't get long hot summers here as it would cost me a fortune!

    I'm loving all the Olympic/Jubilee packaging but what are we meant to do with it all!!! I was showing your review to my oldest son, who is fascinated by the whole Olympics thing, but he did have a valid point when he asked - 'But mam, would you keep the empty bottle cos it has the Union Jack on it?' - my answer - probably not - it will still end up going in the recycling bin or it will become a rocket or something at my kids school as I often donate empty pots, bottles and yoghurt pots for 'art work'!!!

    So all in all - great review - I would buy it with or without the Union Jack decor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you click on the "suncare" label, you'll see reviews of the Boots Soltan brand - they sent us through some products to take to Tyurkey with us last year and they worked really well too, even over there. :)

      Delete
  3. I am so pale sunscreen is a must for me so these look good, shame its not available in roll on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the spray sun tan lotions, they are so easy to use with children. My two youngest are so fair that we have to avoid going out peak sun during the summer, I always offer it around other parents there too - as sometimes its just an oversight not to pack it when going out. @stralisemiai

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great products and nbothing like that lovely smell of suntan lotion to get you in the mood for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought 2 bottles of the Clear Protect Spray yesterday - but I didn't see any with the British logo on :( Gutted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this product :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've tried the spray - is good, and the smell reminds me off happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going on our holiday 2 weeks today and typical me, last minute as usual, haven't stocked up on all our essentials yet, especially suncream. I am and have always been a fan of ambre solaire but have never tried their clear transparent lotions before. I will most definitely be looking this up online very shortly!

    coppelia100@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...