Saturday 5 May 2012

Just Add Tangy Cheese Seasoning review


As I told you last week (here), I received a big selection of Just Add products to try out in The Madhouse kitchen. Well, we started off with the Tangy Cheese Seasoning for Potato Wedges. I was intrigued to see how the cheesy flavour would work and whether the Madhouse mini-testers would approve.


The instructions on the pack say to parboil the potato wedges before covering them in seasoning and putting them in the oven, but as I never usually do this, I decided to just chop them and season them raw. The idea of parboiling them is to make them soft and fluffy but I was actually really impressed with how soft and melt in the mouth they came out - more so than usual but I think that's more down to the potatoes than the seasoning !


As you can see in the top picture, I thought I'd need to use both sachets of Tangy Cheese seasoning that we'd received because the instructions say to use a sachet with three medium potatoes. As I was cooking for a family of five, I used about five potatoes but I was surprised to see that just one sachet did the job nicely. I drizzled a little oil over the potatoes in a roasting tin then shook it about to get the wedges evenly coated. You could use a bag to shake them in too. For a crispier finish, put them on a tray.


They came out lovely and golden and the savoury cheese flavour perfectly complemented the sweet smokiness of the barbecue chicken (that I blogged about here). The taste of the seasoning appealed to everyone at The Madhouse, whatever their age, which is great news as the kids are often put off by anything overly spicy.

I can't tell you how many calories are in each 30g pack because there's no information about this on the pack or online. The ingredients list doesn't contain anything that looks particularly unsavoury : 
semolina, cheese blend, onion powder, salt, paprika, dried green jalapeno, tomato powder, flavouring, yellow mustard seed, oregano, anti-caking agent, chilli powder. It's suitable for vegetarians but does contain gluten.

The seasoning is also available in Spicy Cajun Style or Garlic & Herb flavour, which we also received, so I can't wait to try those out too.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : 59p for 30g


Disclosure : We received a selection of Just Add products (as detailed here) in order to write the review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :


3 comments:

  1. Now they look scrumptious, cheese is a bit of a weakenss of mine(ok a lot), that & chocolate & before you know it all your hard work during the week has been ruined in one mad moment on a boring Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sound of this because I'm always thinking of different ways to make potatoes more interesting for the kids, and I'm sure they would love this flavour

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks delicious! Might try it for dinner this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...