Monday 28 May 2012

George at Asda's spring/summer nail varnish collection review


How funky are these ?! You may remember a couple of weeks ago, I shared a blogpost with you (here) entitled "Spend v Splurge",  showing you Asda's new spring/summer range of budget-friendly make up and comparing them to the almost identical big brands with the equally big price tags.

When we were offered the chance to review some of the range, we opted for the nail varnishes. I love the way nail varnish can add the finishing touch to a look, make you smile every time you see your fingers and toes and really glam up a new pair of sandals. I also love the way just a few minutes applying varnish can look good for several days or even weeks if you reapply it when necessary.


Juliette wanted to try out the sparkly glitter nail varnishes, choosing to alternate the green and purple colours on her fingers. When I started applying it, the first coat was disappointing as it looks like clear nail varnish with a few bits of glitter sprinkled in. I applied a second coat quite thickly and this sorted it all out though, giving a deeper colour and pretty good coverage. As you can see from the photo above, there are a few white bits - they're not chips, they're places where there is no glitter. These can easily be filled in though and you should remember that this is being modelled by a squirmy seven-year-old, which probably doesn't help. The glitter nail varnishes only cost £2.75 and come in a variety of colours, including Raspberry Ripple and Aquarium that you can see here. At that price, you can even let your daughters have some as a special grown-up treat for the summer holidays.


 Sophie opted for George’s Molten Metal Nail Vanish in a colour called Spaceman, which is a cheaper version of the very similar Essie equivalent. This goes on smoothly and just one coat gives great coverage. Tweens and teens will love the glam silver shine but it's equally appealing to grown ups - in fact I've just put some on my toe nails. This will be perfect for getting my tootsies out in my strappy sandals and flip flops if the sunshine continues ! It only costs £2.75 which is amazing value.I'm hoping it will stop Sophie biting her nails too !


We also received a lovely pink varnish in a shade called Singapore Sling. Sophie put this on her toenails and one coat gave great coverage and a lovely deep colour. She also remarked that it dried really quickly which makes sense as I later discovered that this is a special Quick Dry Nail Varnish. I've just checked the price and this costs a whole £1.75 !

At these prices, it's definitely time to give your nail varnish bag an overhaul for the summer season !

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : from £1.75 - £2.75


Disclosure : I received a selection of George at Asda nail varnishes in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

13 comments:

  1. Think I may have to get myself some of these!xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might actually give Asda nail polishes another go after reading this review. I love having painted nails and spend far too much on nail varnish, but when I bought Asda's own a couple of years back I was very disappointed in it. The colours looked gorgeous in the bottles, but went on so thinly as to be almost completely translucent so needed at least 3 coats for a strong colour. After just a few hours it started to chip too....very frustrating. I didn't buy them again. Sounds like they might have improved their formula a bit - and it looks lovely in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely to see something that can make you feel good for such a cheap price. I love a bit of nail varnish, particularly on my toes. If I paint my fingernails I always seem to end the day with chips and bits peeling off which doesn't look particularly professional - so if I'm going into a meeting or going out with friends I tend to leave my fingers paint free and focus on my toes.
    It's probably just because I use my toes so much less than my fingers so they don't really get a chance to chip ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here ! I always blame it on the cleaning products and washing up !

      Delete
  4. OMG, the price!! I spend quite a fortune on nail varnish, I am completely addicted to it, but that's a bit stupid to be spending that much if, according to the review, cheap nail varnish can have the same end result...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to be fair, I never buy the big brands so I can't compare. It was certainly good enough for me and the girls but you may see a difference if you're used to the expensive versions ! Let me know how you get on :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh i'm glad you did this review! I love nail varnish but hardly ever buy myself any, mainly just get it for birthday/christmas presents, but at this price i can afford to treat myself to some new shades, i wouldn't even really notice that on my weekly shop, would i? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have bought Asda nail polishes before, i really like them, small bottles (i get bored quickly!) and cheap! need a stock up methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love buying nail varnishes whenever i see a different colour i have to get it. i think ASDA is brilliant for this as it dosent break the bank balance and they have so much variety. need to go get a glittery one now !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love george clothes for the kids, had no idea that they did makeup. Will definatly be looking in store next time my girls will love the sparkly ones

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit obsessed with mail polish! The purple looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...