Wednesday 9 May 2012

Book review : Glimmers - Barbara Brooke


The trouble when you have a passion for reading (like me) is that you get through so many books, you often find that the storylines and characters start to resemble each other. Well, I was pleased to discover that Glimmers has a really original plotline that I've not come across before, at least not in a grown-up fiction book.

The basic premise reminds me of many children's stories or TV shows, including the great Mr Benn who I loved watching as a kid, who managed to go to a different place and era just by walking into the magic changing room. Well, Paige, the central character of Glimmers, doesn't need a magical fancy dress shop. She just needs to touch an object in order to experience a "glimmer" and get a brief experience of the past owner's life. Loving programmes like Most Haunted and Medium, I'm well aware of the belief that some people have that objects can hold on to emotional energy that can be channelled by people with psychic abilities. This keeps the whole narrative more grounded and realistic than stories of, for example, vampires so you can really relate to and empathise with the characters, particularly as Paige is just discovering her "gift" and initially has no idea what is going on.

It's a charming, light-hearted, feel-good tale, great for a bit of escapism, as you can immerse yourself into a variety of times and places. I love the way the glimpses into past lives allow Paige to change and improve herself, learning lessons from the other women's lives that she has briefly inhabited. Fans of chick lit will love the romance element and the tales of family strife, and the paranormal element just adds the icing to the cake.

This is the first in a series of books, and the clever plotline will give the author great scope for coming up with a wide range of intertwining life stories. I look forward to reading future volumes.

star rating : 4/5

RRP : $9.99

for more information : http://www.barbarabrookeglimmers.com

Disclosure : I received a paperback review copy of the book, sent from the States. It seems to only be available as an e-book on Amazon UK for the moment. ***UPDATE : Barbara Brooke has left a message below to say it will available as a print copy next week in the UK - see below for more details ! ***



Other reviews you may be interested in :

10 comments:

  1. Im interested on where you got the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The frame ? It's a book cover !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love Mr Benn! As if by magic the shopkeeper appeared. This does look like an interesting read, I shall keep my eyes open for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheyl,
    Thank you so much for the amazing review! I absolutely love your take on Glimmers.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling by and leaving a message ! xx

      Delete
  5. Looks like just the sort of thing my sister-in-law would love. Very nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheryl,
    I just contacted Createspace, and within a week, Glimmers (print version) should be available in the UK :)
    Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great news - I'll add a little note to the review in case people don't see your message :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. perfect summer read, I've added it ti my goodreads, to read list!!!! thankyou...
    @kohsamuirosie on twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a good read!! Just reading 50 shades of grey but think this might be my next read x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...