Wednesday 7 November 2012

Good Natured Winter Warmer recipe challenge



When I was asked if I'd like to take part in a Winter Warmer recipe challenge using Good Natured Potatoes, I asked the Madhouse Family if they had any ideas of what they fancied and the unanimous answer was Tartiflette. I never think of this as a proper recipe because it's so simple to make but then I remembered how enthusiastic Jo from Given To Distracting Others got about it and decided that it would, in fact, be perfect. This is a traditional French dish that is popular in the mountainous regions where you need good, warming food to keep the chill out when it's freezing outside.



Tartiflette

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

as manySplendid Spuds as you can fit in the microwave in one go (about 8)
2 onions
200g bacon
3-4 large mushrooms
1 reblochon cheese

Rinse and stab the potatoes two or three times but do not peel them. (This is where you really appreciate that Good Natured Splendid Spuds are pesticide residue-free.) Place them on a large plate and zap in the microwave for about 15 minutes until they are totally cooked through (a knife blade slices right through with no effort).


While the potatoes are cooking, chop the onions, mushrooms and bacon rashers into large pieces and gently fry. Remove the excess oil. Do not cook them for too long as they will continue cooking into the oven.


Remove the potatoes from the microwave and allow to cool for 15 minutes, if possible. Using a sharp knife, chop each potato into large wedges and place them in one layer in an oven proof dish.

Scatter the onion/mushroom/bacon mixture over the top.


Take the wheel (or half wheel) of reblochon cheese and cut in half through the thickness of the cheese. If you have a whole wheel, first chop in half so you have four semi-circles.


Lay the cheese, rind side up, on top of the potatoes and bacon/mushrooms/onions and place in the oven at 180° until the cheese has totally melted and created a gooey sauce to coat the potatoes and the crust has gone crispy and golden brown.

Serve with a salad, if you're trying to sabotage a slight healthy edge, or do as the French do – accompany it with a cheeky glass of wine ! (It's from grapes, so maybe it counts as one of your five-a-day ?!!)



for more information and to check out all the other entries (at the end of the month) : http://www.goodnaturedfruit.co.uk

Disclosure : This is my entry for the Good Natured Winter Warmer recipe challenge. I received some Good Natured Splendid Spuds and an apron in order to take part in the cookery challenge.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :


Childhood Memories and Jacket Potato Recipes for Bonfire Night

7 comments:

  1. can anybody join in this challenge, if so where do we link please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea - keep an eye on their website or ask them from there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I come over, I love potatoes, I think I am never tired of eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy, perfect for this cold weather. good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I wish I could taste this by licking my screen! I just found you on Sverve and you instantly made me hungry!

    I am going to HAVE to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh I'll look out for you on sverve - I have to say, I'm loving it for finding new blogs :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...