Friday 25 November 2011

Vimto review - I'm a Vimto-virgin no more !!


Back in the summer, I ran a competition which had a fabulous prize provided by the lovely people at Vimto - a gorgeous prom dress and a hamper of Vimto products. While sorting out the prizewinner's details, I let slip that I'd never actually tried Vimto. "We can't have that", they cried ! "We'll send you some to try out." I was expecting a couple of cans to arrive so I was over the moon when this gorgeous wicker basket crammed with a whole range of Vimto goodies arrived !


Sophie and Juliette excitedly unpacked it all on the kitchen table and we were all impressed at just how many different Vimto products there are. Fizzy, still, dilutable, ready to drink, sugar-free, cherry flavour ... they even put in a selection of Vimto sweets which seemed to disappear before I hardly even had a chance to take the photo !



Well, we've been busy trying out the different drinks and I have to say, I've been pleasantly surprised. I don't really know I've never bought Vimto before, but I think I was traumatised by the Kids from Fame ! I remember being a starstruck Kids from Fame fan and, after seeing them guzzling Dr Pepper on the show, begged my mum and dad to buy me a can at Tesco's. Back home, I excitedly opened the can, took a big gulp and went "eeuuurgghhhh that's disgusting" ! From that day on, I think I just steered away from and weird and wonderful drinks that I wasn't familiar with (unless they contained alcohol, several years on - that seemed to override my reticence !)

Anyway, I digress ! Back to the Vimto. I can't actually define what the taste of Vimto is except to say that it's fruity and very nice. The label isn't any help as they just mention a secret Vimto recipe so you'll just have to enjoy it without really knowing what you're drinking ! The website does mention that it includes a mix of three fruit juices - grape, blackcurrant and raspberry - along with a mysterious blend of 23 fruit essences, herbs and spices, but the rest is top secret.

The fizzy cans are great for the kids when you're out and about and the sugar-free variety only contains a handful of calories. Our favourites are the dilutables - both cherry and regular Vimto - which seem to be really concentrated and have a lovely strong flavour, even when you hardly put any in the glass.

I'll be back next week, reviewing their special limited edition for Christmas but in the meantime, if you're another "Vimto-virgin", get out there and try some. It's too delicious to pass up !

star rating : 5/5

for more information : http://www.vimto.co.uk/

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

3 comments:

  1. lol and you and Fame - as a child I use to read the famous 5 and they always had ginger beer and I nagged my mum till she gave in, bogging is an understatement....
    my opinion on vimto ( sorry vimto) its not my thing, but glad you and your enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Vimto but haven't tried it for ages, I will have to put it on my shopping list

    ReplyDelete
  3. mm yum what a lovely prize, will have to go and buy myself one soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...