Tuesday 3 April 2012

Dream destination : Florida !



Ocean Florida are currently running a competition for bloggers where you can win two flights to Orlando by blogging about all the things you have visited or would love to visit on your holidays in Florida. This made me get all wistful because, before we had the kids, America was the one place I wanted to discover in depth. We did manage to go on a fabulous trip to the East Coast for our honeymoon (twelve years ago - eeek !) where we took in Boston, Washington DC, New York and Philadelphia, but there are so many other great places I want to discover Stateside, including Florida. Time for some armchair travelling I think (unless we win those tickets in which case it'll be time for some real travelling !).


My first inkling of all the great things that Florida had to offer came from watching Miami Vice (and drooling over Don Johnson!) as a teen - just those opening credits were enough to make me want to visit, with the colourful images of flamingos and pelicans, the palm trees and speed boats, the uber-fit and uber-tanned beach-lovers, the dolphins and alligators, the sunshine ... ah yes, the sunshine. Florida is even known as The Sunshine State. Every time I tuned in, it was like watching a Visit Florida commercial !



But even after I stopped lusting after Crockett and Tubbs, I continued to fantasise about going to Florida because it just seems to have so much to offer for everyone, from families with young children to nature-lovers and city-lovers. Obviously, everybody knows it has every kid's dream destination Walt Disney World Resort but there is also Universal Studios Orlando Resort, SeaWorld, Gatorland and the Kennedy Space Center, to name just a few others. It's not just the theme park capital of the world though and I would love to discover the beaches of Miami, the swamps of the Everglades and the natural beauty of the Florida Keys. You can even discover the traditions and heritage of the American-Indians in the Seminole and Miccosukee Indian reservations.


 For now, I'll have to make do with eating a slice of Key Lime Pie washed down with a glass of freshly-squeezed Florida orange juice though !

If you're a blogger and you'd like to participate in the competition, head on over to the Ocean Florida blog.

*** This is a sponsored but nevertheless 100% honest post ! ***

Other blogposts you may be interested in :
  

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to go to Florida, but unfortunately I'm a very nervous flyer (our plane got struck by lightning a few years ago!!), I'm hoping that one day I will be brave enough to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been lucky enough to go to Orlando twice, but I really want to visit the other wonderful sounding areas of Florida too - and being a bit older than you, Crockett & Tubbs were part of my 20's, could have done without the alligators though.
    So many woderful sounding places in other states too - just need to win the lottery to travel to all the ones I want to see!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...