Saturday 19 July 2014

#Amoyzing BBQ challenge : Sticky Chinese Steak with Rainbow Noodle Salad


Here at The Madhouse, we love barbecues and we love Chinese food. I must admit, I would never have thought of combining the two though, so when Amoy sent us through a fabulous selection of products and asked us to come up with a BBQ themed meal using them, I was a bit non-plussed. I got a bit experimental and we all loved the finished dish though.

Sticky Chinese Steak with Rainbow Noodle Salad


ingredients :

sirloin steak 
1 sachet of Amoy Chinese Barbecue Sticky Glaze

1 onion
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 green pepper
4 mushrooms
1 leek
1 carrot
a drizzle of olive oil
1 pack Amoy Straight to Wok noodles
Amoy Stir Fry Soy with Garlic & Chinese 5 Spice


Put the steak in a dish and pour over the contents of the sachet of  Amoy Chinese Barbecue Sticky Glaze. Coat all sides and leave to marinate for at least 1/2 hour. That was all I had to do with the meat - Madhouse Daddy is the barbecue king so he grilled it to perfection for me ! 


My job was dealing with the accompaniment to the meat. First, finely chop all the vegetables.


I had a choice between three different soy sauces to try out - Dark, Light or Stir Fry Soy with Garlic & Chinese 5 Spice, which was what I opted for.


I also decided to move away from the traditional rice salad that I make with barbecue to try a noodle salad instead, using the Straight to Wok noodles.


After stir-frying the vegetables for 5 minutes in the olive oil, so that they were soft but still crunchy, I put in the noodles (breaking them up with my fingers because they are clumped together in the pack). I added a generous drizzle of the Amoy Stir Fry Soy with Garlic & Chinese 5 Spice and stir-fried for a few more minutes until the noodles and vegetables had soaked up the soy sauce and gone soft. I added an extra drizzle of the soy sauce for good measure.


I turned off the heat on the noodles, deciding that they would be just as good cold as hot and awaited Madhouse Daddy with the grilled steak - yum !


The warm noodle salad was the perfect accompaniment to the sweet, sticky glazed steak and, as it could be made in advance and reheated or even eaten cold, this is actually a great alternative to my usual potato salad/coleslaw/rice salads and one that I'll be making again when we have a barbecue.

I can't wait to have a play around with the rest of the Amoy products - there are some peanut satay sachets which sound like they will be perfect with chicken, so I'll be back to tell you how we got on with those too.

As I mentioned in my recent review of the Amoy Easy Meal Kit for Malaysian Laksa, Amoy has teamed up with TV chef Ching He Huang to launch the Amoyzing Meals in a Minute collection, which you can check out at https://www.youtube.com/user/UKAmoy.

Check out what the other bloggers have come up with too - Galina's warm chicken salad with grilled mango and peaches, Lilinha's Marinated Chicken and Prawn and Alison's Peanut Satay and Lime Chicken Kebabs both sound divine.

Disclosure : I received a selection of products and a shopping voucher in order to take part in the recipe challenge.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Feeling fruity with summer fruit !

Madhouse recipe : Orange Jelly Brioche Summer Pudding

Globe-cooking recipe : Apple strudel (Germany)

5 comments:

  1. Never thought of adding the glaze to steak, it looks lovely and the salad is a perfect accompaniment

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds really nice! going to have to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, the sticky Chinese steak looks delicious! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious! So full of flavours and colours! I have finally added a link to your post on my blog, took me only a few weeks, my Mum and niece are visiting this month, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with blogging things. :) Thank you for linking up with my recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the same boat - where is the time going ?! Off to link up with some other recipes now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...