Thursday 17 July 2014

Feeling fruity with summer fruit !


The Orchard at Tesco recently invited us to join in a new campaign for berries and cherries. We love all types of fruit so I couldn't wait to stock up on summer fruit and see what I could do with it.


Well, most of it disappeared either directly from the punnets in the kitchen or as these super-duper grazing bowls that Madhouse Daddy kept coming up with - perfect for nibbling on in front of the telly.


And I'm clearly not the only one to think so - who needs sweets or biscuits ?!


I did want to make something a bit special though so, as it was Pierre's birthday, I knocked up a quick cheesecake (I confess, I used a packet mix !) and scattered the remaining berries all over it.


It already looked pretty amazing (even if I say so myself !) but the addition of some smiley candles really finished it off perfectly.


Pierre was very impressed and the whole lot got polished off in record time ! It actually made a lovely lighter alternative to the traditional sponge birthday cake and I'll definitely be doing this again for other birthdays or special occasions.


I did intend to reproduce this amazing Jubilee Cake that I made a couple of years ago for the Diamond Jubilee. You can find the recipe here.


 What made it so special (apart from the patriotic blue and red food colouring in the sponge cake !) was the Union Jack in strawberries and blueberries on the top and the addition of extra fruit added between each layer. Now that was a real showstopper of a cake and it tasted as good as it looks !

Have you got any other great ideas for recipes using summery cherries and berries?

Disclosure : I received some vouchers for summer fruit in order to take part in The Orchard campaign. If you're not a member, find out more here.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...