Friday 26 September 2014

Cooking with Quark : One Pot Chicken Tikka Rice


This was the final recipe sent through by The Lake District Dairy Co. to try out their new Quark-based cooking sauces - you may have seen my other blogposts for the speedy but tasty Spaghetti Quarkonara and Gnocchi with Wilted Spinach and Tomato & Basil Sauce. I love the way they transform a high calorie, high fat dish into something that I can tuck into with a clear conscience despite trying to lose weight.

One Pot Chicken Tikka Rice


1 pack boneless chicken
2 onions
1 red pepper
3 mushrooms
(optional) : cumin, nutmeg, curry powder
a tub of Tikka Quark cooking sauce
1 sachet of microwavable basmati rice
a handful of raisins
a handful of flaked almonds
fresh coriander

When I came to make the recipe, I couldn't find the recipe card so I made it up as I went along, using up the remaining ingredients from my hamper. It tasted perfect so I think it must have been pretty close to the original !



Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan and start frying the onions. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Chop and add the red pepper and mushrooms. Stir fry for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. (If the mushrooms have released too much liquid, remove the excess.) If you so desire, you can sprinkle cumin, nutmeg and curry powder over the chicken when you add it - this will give it a more robust flavour.


Add the tub of sauce and the raisins and stir to evenly coat all the ingredients. Zap the rice in the microwave and add to the pot, stirring to combine.


Serve with flaked almonds and fresh coriander sprinkled over the top.

I saved this for me and Madhouse Daddy, thinking it would be too spicy for the kids, but it's actually very mild and family-friendly. The flavours worked well together and I love the simplicity (and lack of washing up !) of a one-pot meal. It's more of a biryani than a tikka but it's a lovely dish that I'll definitely make again.

RRP : £1.75 for 200g

for more information: www.LakeDistrictQuark.co.uk 

Disclosure : I received a hamper of ingredients in order to try out the recipes.

Other blogposts you may be interested in 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...