Saturday 14 June 2014

Globe-cooking recipe : Chile Rellenos Casserole (Costa Rica)


How vibrant are these peppers? I'm very proud to say they came off my patio this evening. In fact, Pierre picked them so you could alsmost say that Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers off the patio ! I can take no credit though - I bought the plants at the garden centre with the peppers fully formed and just let them finish off growing at The Madhouse ! (You can see them when I bought them here.)

Anyway, having thrown myself with great enthusiasm into the World Cup cookery challenge, I had a look at the countries playing today and decided to go for Costa Rica. I had no idea what Costa Ricans eat but when I saw a recipe for Chile Rellenos Casserole, it sounded perfect, especially as I could tweak it to use my freshly harvested red and yellow peppers.

Chile Rellenos Casserole


ingredients :

300g grated cheese
3 eggs
1 & 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
red and yellow peppers, deseeded and halved (or sweet chillies, if you want to be more authentic)
1tbsp Schwartz Spanish Seasoning
salt & pepper


Mix the eggs, milk, flour and seasonings in a bowl. Take an ovenproof dish and lay pepper across the whole surface. Pour over half of the eggy mixture and top with cheese.


Repeat the whole operation - create another layer of peppers, pour over the rest of the eggy mixture and top with the rest of the cheese.


Bake in the oven at 200°C for 50 minutes until the eggs are solid and the cheese is nicely browned.


Leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving. This went really well with a simple salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber) and crusty bread.

It's basically a crustless quiche or a baked omelette. It tasted absolutely divine and I must admit, I don't know if I'll ever bother making an omelette in a frying pan and flipping it overagain  because this is such an easy alternative.


I'm joining in with the World Cup recipe challenge over on the Cooking Around The World blog

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful dish and brilliant you could use those freshly harvested peppers. I don't have any peppers to harvest, but I'd love to try that dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe used a tin of green chilli peppers so you could try that instead :)

      Delete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous! I don't grow any peppers this year, last year had so many chili peppers we could never eat them all in a decade, been trying to give them to friends but even they couldn't help with the whole crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great when you get to eat something you've grown yourself, very gratifying :)

      Delete
  3. How nice to pick your own peppers, my veg are struggling against the attack of the slugs and snails. The recipe looks lovely too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had loads of snails too - luckily they stayed off my peppers !

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...