Sunday 29 June 2014

Ollo Foods Goan Style Curry Sauce review


Ollo Foods recently sent me through some jars of their curry sauces to try out. You may remember I reviewed their Carrot & Tamarind Sweet & Piquant Chutney and Smoked Spiced BBQ Glaze earlier in the year. The new Goan Style Curry Sauce and kid-friendly Mild Spiced Curry Sauce are both victims of their own success at the moment and keep selling out as soon as they make a new batch - you'll have to be patient if you want to try them because you can't buy them for love or money until they make some more !


We tried out the Goan-style curry sauce last night. I had a little taste-test straight from the jar and it has a distinctive kick, but doesn't remove the roof of your mouth.


It's a smooth sauce with an attractive deep orange colour.


I like my curry sauces to have a few lumps of vegetable in them so I started off by chopping up an onion and gently frying it, before adding some chopped turkey breast. After a few minutes, when the meat was cooked through, I poured over the curry sauce, stirred, and heated it for 5 minutes. You can also heat the sauce first and cook the raw meat in it, but I always prefer cooking the meat first so that I can check it's cooked - it's harder to see once it's covered in sauce.


Served over a sachet of microwavable rice, I had a tasty fakeaway within 15 minutes. I added a spoonful of clotted cream at the end to make a really unctuous sauce and it was perfect. The sauce covered the meat but wasn't so runny that it dripped everywhere when we ate. It was spicy but not overly so - even Sophie gave it a thumbs-up and she's not keen on curry usually.

I love the fact that Ollo Food products only use things that you'd find in a regular kitchen. The ingredients list for this sauce is : Onion, Tomato, Garlic, Ginger, Coconut Milk, Mango Powder, Sugar, Salt, Cumin, Coriander, Fennel Seed, Pepper, Bay Leaf, Red Chilli, Turmeric, Cashew Nuts, Fenugreek Seeds, Vinegar & Water. No hidden nasties or artificial junk and that really comes through in the taste.

Can't wait to try out the Mild Spiced Curry Sauce now!

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £12.80 for 3 jars

for more information : http://www.ollofoods.com/products/currysaucegoanstyle.html

Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

New All Bran Chocolate Wheats review

4 comments:

  1. That really does look tasty!. I have not seen Ollo before I will have a look for it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lovely authentic curry, Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love trying different curry sauces, these sound tasty especially the Goan Style.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...