Monday 16 June 2014

Globecooking recipe : Bananas Ghana (Ghana)


When I looked at who was playing a match today, Ghana leapt out at me as the most unusual country (in terms of cuisine) so I went for a look on google and discovered that most Ghanaian desserts involve bananas. The most iconic sounding one is Bananas Ghana, which is what we had for dessert tonight. The kids absolutely loved it so next time we have overly ripe bananas that need using up, I know what to make ! It only takes minutes so it's a quicker option than banana bread.

Bananas Ghana


ingredients:

4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup orange juice
a sprinkle of shredded coconut or chopped peanuts


Mix the sugar with the cinnamon in a shallow bowl and roll the banana pieces in it. Place them on a baking tray and pour over the orange juice. (You can add a glug of Cointreau if this is for grown-ups.)


Put in the oven at 180° for 20 minutes until the bananas are soft and the orange juice has reduced.


Serve sprinkled with coconut. If you want to be extra indulgent, a scoop of ice cream or a squirt of whipped cream would go really well with this too.


I'm joining in with the World Cup recipe challenge over on the Cooking Around The World blog

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

8 comments:

  1. It's only a shame, you don't get real bananas around ... at least that is what they usually say. Good you picked Ghana for today. Maybe I get the chance to try Ghana another day. Hm, I could even check with a friend of mine, who is from Ghana. Maybe things would involve goats. Anyway, very lovely dessert. Hm, maybe some Cointreau for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids polished it off so fast, I didn't even have time to get the ice cream out of the freezer ! lol

      Delete
  2. are you cooking things that rhyme? looks tasty though,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could be a new cookery challenge - I like it !!

      Delete
  3. A lovely recipe! I think I'd pass the cointreau and have some Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh spoken like a woman after my own heart !!

      Delete
  4. Fab recipe - my fave banana dessert has to be rum bananas though - absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, must try something along these lines. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...