Friday 20 June 2014

Globe-cooking recipe : Sha Shogok (Tibetan Beef & Potato Stew)

  

You may remember a while ago, I read Above All Things by Tanis Rideout, which focuses on mountaineer George Mallory's ill-fated endeavour to conquer Mount Everest. I cooked some rather lovely lemon scones for the #readcookeat challenge because it was something his wife mentions back home in Britain. Before spotting the mention of this homely sweet treat, I started looking up Himalayan recipes to see what was on offer and came across one for Sha Shogok, which is basically a Tibetan Beef & Potato Stew. I decided to try making this in the slow cooker.

Sha Shogok 


ingredients :

2tbsp oil
750g beef (a cheap cut as it's for the slow cooker)
5-6 potatoes
2 onions
a knob of ginger, minced
6-8 cloves of garlic (I used a Knorr Garlic Flavour Pot)
1/2 tsp pepper (I used a Knorr 3 Peppercorn Flavour Pot)
2 cups beef stock (I used a Knorr Beef Stock Pot)
3 bay leaves
4-6 star anise
1tbsp Annatto Seeds (optional)
pinch of salt


Start by browning off the meat in a pan over a high heat on all sides. Pour into the slow cooker, along with any cooking juices.


Finely mince the fresh ginger and garlic - I took the easy option and used Flavour Pots.


Star anise is perfect but you could replace it with 1 tbsp Chinese Five Spice Mix instead.


Add the onions, garlic/peppercorn flavour pots (or fresh equivalent), ginger, bay leaves, annatto seeds, salt and star anise to the pot.


Add some water to the pan you browned the meat in and bring to a vigorous boil, stirring, to scrape up all the sediment and avoid wasting all that lovely flavour. Add to the slow cooker, along with the beef stock pot/cube.


Cook on low for 3-4 hours, then add the chopped potatoes. (I used a mixture of potatoes and sweet potatoes which worked well - you could also add carrots, leeks, parsnips, swede, etc). Cook for a further 2-3 hours and serve over rice.

This reminded me of the flavours of the Bo Kho Vietnamese Beef Stew and made a nice change from a regular beef casserole.


 joining in with the #readcookeat challenge on Galina's Chez Maximka and Chris's Cooking Around the World blogs

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

#readcookeat challenge : Newfoundland cuisine (inspired by Beneath The Surface)

6 comments:

  1. That's a new recipe to me, and it sounds tasty, I can imagine it was melting in the mouth. When I was reading the book and came across that extract with scones, I thought of you and your lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting and it sounds lovely. Never heard of it before

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother prepares this on special occasion in my country as beef is expensive! Awww now I miss eating this =) #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh you are making me hungry. This sounds delicious. My hubby would love it too! Will have to bookmark. Thanks for sharing. #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks amazing and haven't ever eaten Tibetan food-Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...