Wednesday 18 June 2014

Children's book preview : The School of Good & Evil - Soman Chainani


No, that wasn't a mistype - I really did mean to type preview and not review ! I'm currently about halfway through the first of the School of Good and Evil books and, as I'm not going to meet the deadline of Monday for finishing them both, I'd thought I'd do a halfway (p)review and share the rather fabulous trailer with you that  HarperCollins have put together.



That's actually a very good trailer because it perfectly portrays the atmosphere of the books - action-packed, intriguing, a little bit scary, unconventional ... I love the way that it starts from something we all know - the fairy stories of our childhood - and turns them on their head. I couldn't help but have a good giggle about one of the main characters being called Sophie too - I can't wait to pass the book on to her !

The blurb on the back of the book says :

"Every four years, two girls are kidnapped from the village of Gavaldon. Legend has it these lost children are sent to the School for Good and Evil, the fabled institution where they become fairytale heroes or villains.

Sophie, the most beautiful girl in town, has always dreamed of her place at the School for Good while her friend Agatha, with her dark disposition seems destined for the School for Evil. But when the two are kidnapped they find their fortunes reversed…"

It's an interesting take on the beauty-is-as-beauty-does theme and an important life lesson on beauty being skin deep and not taking things (and people) at face value. It's reminsicent of the Harry Potter series but with a darker edge and also more humour.

I'm hooked, even as an adult, so I'll be back with a full review when I've finished both books.



Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Children's book review : School For Stars : First Term at L'Etoile - Holly & Kelly Willoughby

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...