Sunday 29 June 2014

Broxo Orabrush Electric Toothbrush review


Broxo recently got in touch and asked if I'd like to try out one of their Orabrush electric toothbrushes. As they quite rightly said in their introductory email, it's a brand that you're unlikely to have heard of but whose products have been proven superior to the big brands in university clinical trials - 167 of them, no less ! They asked me to give it a fair try and ignore the "unglamorous" aspect of the product, compared to its competitiors, and judge it on its performance alone.


Well, when it arrived, I was actually pleasantly surprised. It has just the right balance of funky and functional as far as I'm concerned. Along with the central unit, you get four different coloured heads and a little storage unit to keep the heads clean and safe.


You get the screws and rawlplugs for attaching the unit to the wall. This means that the whole family could share the handle, with each member of the family having their own colour coded brush head.



The brush is very simple to use. It has three speeds and I started off on the slowest. This corresponds to the top speed of the last electric toothbrush I tried. The top speed is so fast, it made my whole head buzz ! I read on the box that it has 6000 wide angle movements per minute and millions of circumvolutions of its bristles. (This isn't necessarily as fast as its competitors, but it has been designed to provide the optimum balance of performance and user comfort.) I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had incredibly shiny, smooth teeth, with the feeling you only ever get when you've just walked out of the dentist's, even after only one use.


I was slightly concerned about it being too rough on my gums - I have a receding gum on one tooth since my last pregnancy and my dentist told me to go easy when brushing - but I was reassured to learn that the Orabrush was created by its inventor, Dr. Philippe-Guy Woog, precisely because he had problems with his gums. When his dentist's advice failed to solve the problem, he tried biting into apples regularly and discovered that his gums got better. Undertaking research into Yanomami Indians and Eskimos, he discovered that, although they had tooth decay, their gums were in very good health, presumably because of all the dried meat and fish that they eat that requires vigorous biting and chewing. The Orabrush is therefore designed to reproduce the biting action and its beneficial effects on the gums that are no longer provided by modern foods that are too soft in consistency. It has been clinically proven to stop gingivitis in 8 days and gum bleeding due to periodontal disease in 30 days, restoring healthy gums.


The one slight niggle that I have with the brush is that it needs plugging into a socket. As bathrooms don't have sockets in them, this means that I invariably end up using it in the bedroom. For the brush to work more efficiently, removing dental plaque whether it be on the visible tooth surface, delow the gum line or between the teeth, you must keep liquid (saliva + toothpaste) in your mouth during brushing, which invariably leads to me dashing to the sink in the bathroom at top speed when I need to spit ! You also have to make sure you line it up with the gum line correctly but the enclosed intruction booklet is very clear.

Having read that periodontal disease is the principal cause of tooth loss in adults and that 9 out of 10 people over 50 and 75% of 35-50 year olds suffer from it, I'm really pleased to have discovered just how effective the Orabrush is, not just for looking after teeth but also gums.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : €135

Disclosure : I received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Sure Compressed for Women review


6 comments:

  1. I've not heard of that make before, it looks pretty impressive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you cant beat an electric brush, I love mine. I have often wondered why (with an electric brush) if it does 6000 strokes a minute why do you still need 2 minutes as you do with a manual brush? surely 20 seconds would be enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of these before, my current electric brush is sadly dying & I have to use one as I struggle to brush my teeth evenly due to having poor dexterity. Having read this post I think I may have a change of brand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of this brand make before. I do like an electric toothbrush. As it does tend to leave the teeth and mouth feeling clean and fresh for longer than an ordinary toothbrush.

    Rachel Craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. This toothbrush looks well funky, never heard of this range before but looks well cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have owned the same Broxo Orabrush for 23 years. I have a beach condo and am going to purchase a second one so that I do not have to transfer. It is a very reliable electric toothbrush that I would highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...